1: beast of burden

1999

Harry

I watched her as she grabbed my hand and dragged me through the fields. Her brown hair with perfect tight curls done by her mom, her blue eyes glistening in the darkness of the light. I never wanted her to leave. It was my last day before she would move to Seattle. I didn't want to be stuck in England till I was able to see her again.

She let go of my hand before turning and looking me in the eyes. "Harry, I have a present for you."

I looked at her with a smile before she went on her tippy toes and kissed my cheek. My face became instantly red from my nervous reaction. She just kissed my cheek. As a six year old, I was shaking in my boots. Every single second I spent with her, my heart began to break and break even more. I already missed her yet she was right in front of me.

"I'm going to miss you," I told her as she looked up at the sky. Her chest moved up and down while she took a deep breath.

"You see that bright star right there," she pointed to the sky, I knew exactly which one she was pointing to as well. "Every time I went to visit family in Seattle, I would look at the star when I missed you. If you miss me, remember that I am looking at that star with you."

I nodded while we both laid into the grass, we watched the sunset while telling stories and more. "Remember when we caught all the dragonflies and lightning bugs out here."

"I want to do that again, I've seen them all," she spoke quietly. I moved my head to look at her before hopping up and grabbing her hand.

"Then let's go," I told her before we started to run around the field, probably why we had so many mosquito bites during the summer from kicking them all up. "First one to catch one wins!"

She laughed. Her laugh was as contagious as they got. Even in the worst situations she would laugh to try and make me feel even better. Time was ticking being with her, I didn't even care if I lost, as long as I was staring at the girl of my dreams.

She leaped up and caught a lightning bug in her hands, running over to me happily. "Ha, I won."

I rolled my eyes before opening her hands. The bug went flying up into the sky quickly before I closed them again. I looked her in the eyes before leaning in and kissing her. I knew I would never have the chance, things will be different in both of our lives after tonight. Her eyes stayed open in shock before she closed them. I moved back before she smiled and hugged me.

"I'm going to miss you, Harry," she whispered into my ear, her arms locked around my neck not letting go. My heart raced as I continued to hold her, the last hug we would share.

"I am going to miss you too," I whispered back.

She left in ten minutes. My scooby doo watch told me it was eight fifty. She had to leave the house at nine. My mother and father were talking to her parents one last time. She finally let go of me before sniffling and looking up at me. Her eyes had tears brewing and about to fall down her face as I looked at her and wiped one off her cheek.

"Don't cry," I told her.

She smiled as she looked at me. "Why are you crying then?"

I hadn't realized the tears leaving my eyes as I was worried for her, the piercing pain that brought me to my first heartbreak. I hated how her parents needs to live with family instead. I could call her but the time changes would be so different it wouldn't work. I look a deep breath that came out shaky.

"It's going to be weird having new neighbors in your house, nobody will replace you guys," I told her as we began walking from the fields back to her house, a ten minute walk.