Chapter 3

I felt a tugging on my blanket and opened my eyes slowly to see my mom looking down at me with a smile. Guess I slept in again...

'What time is it?'

'About eleven am. Time to get up.'

'Yeah, okay. You're back early.' I mumbled getting out of bed, I was still in my soft grey pyjama top. It was like a tank top but softer. I had on the matching shorts, with large grey and white stripes on them.

I watched my mom raise an eyebrow at how short they were but she didn't say anything.

'Is Robert downstairs?'

My mom nodded, pushing her short blonde hair out of her eyes, 'He's helping Avalon make French toast for lunch. Well, breakfast for you.'

I slipped on a bra under my pyjama shirt and answered. 'Yep.' Following her downstairs to the kitchen where Avalon and Robert were already eating.

Robert is tall with muscular features and dark brown hair, almost black. He was wearing loose jeans and a dark blue polo.

'Um, hi.' I waved awkwardly at him.

'Hey, Reggie.' He gave me a wide grin and held out a plate of French toast with strawberry jam on it. Avalon must have told him how I like it.

'Thanks.' I sat next to my sister at the breakfast bar.

'So, how're you girls liking the new house?' Robert asked.

'I love it! It's so big and I've always wanted a walk in closet.' Avalon said excitedly.

'I'm glad you like it. What about you Reg?' Robert asked.

'It's Reggie.' Only Avalon gets to call me that. He looked a little hurt though so I quickly added, 'I like the pool.'

He smiled, 'Good, good. You and Evan should get along, he was adamant that we had to have a pool.'

'Okay.' I doubt I'll get along with him after all those pranks I set in his room.

After breakfast I headed up to my room, I just don't want to be around Robert just yet. It's not that I don't like him I just don't want a step-father, it feels like I'm giving up on my own dad. I don't even know Robert that well but I guess if he makes my mom happy then I have to give him a chance.

And I really need to put a lock on my door. I'm getting tired of people coming in here while I'm asleep, I also get the feeling that Evan might try to get revenge if he figures out that it was me pranking him..

At about three in the afternoon Avalon came into my room with a grin, she'd changed into black jean shorts and a light pink skinny t-shirt. She'd borrowed my pink and white tommies to wear with it.

'Hey, Robert's ex-wife is outside with Evan, do you want to come down and have a look?'

'Nah, we can see from the window.' I sat on the window seat and opened the large windows. They were set in like double doors but half the height.

A woman with light brown hair was hugging a teenage boy, he looked annoyed with her and went to grab his suitcase out the backseat. Robert went over to the woman and said something I couldn't hear, Evan hugged my mom and headed inside with his luggage.

He was muscular and tall like Robert, wearing black skinny jeans and a dark grey high school rugby t-shirt. He was the typical jock type.

'Want me to introduce you?' Avalon asked.

'Nah, I'll go down later and say hi. He probably needs time to settle in.'

She rolled her eyes, 'Wimp.'