Chapter 22

I've been living with my dad for more than a month now and it's been better than I expected. We have takeaways for lunch and supper, the only "homemade" things I eat are the different cereals, when I remember to get milk. My dad's not exactly a great home maker.

I spend my mornings doing school work, my schools letting me do all the work online so I can keep up with everything. My afternoons and evenings are all spent in the garage working on bikes and the odd car, it keeps my hands busy and my mind focused on something other than the way it felt being around Alex. The way it felt to kiss him.

I dropped the spanner I was holding and grimaced, ever since Avalon told me what happened when I was drunk I've been getting more and more of my fuzzy memory back. Not everything is clear but I do know enough to make me want to murder Zayn.

Talking to Avalon every few days helps, I don't think I'd be able to have stayed here as long as I have without talking to her. She also filled me in on what's been happening back home. My mother freaked out and almost flew out here after Avalon explained what happened, Robert was furious with Evan for not telling him what happened at the party. Luckily for me Robert convinced my mom that flying over here was a bad idea. Evan and Alex started calling me nonstop as soon as they figured out I was gone, I haven't answered either of their calls. Avalon told me that her relationship with Liam is going really well and Evan is now dating Demi, much to Zayn's distaste.

My dad's been trying to get me to at least consider going back to stay with my mom but I'm having none of it. I really don't want to go back there yet, I know I really miss Avalon, my mom, Robert, Luke, Calum, Liam and even Evan. I miss Alex almost as much as I miss my sister.

'Hey Reggie? You busy?'

'No, not really.'

It was Rory, the guy that was rude to me on my first day. After he explained that lots of girls come into the garage to leer at the younger mechanics and just end up being a distraction I understood why he acted the way he did. He was just doing what he's supposed to by weeding out the problem visitors as he calls them.

'Feel like helping me out with something?'

'Sure, what?'

'I rebuilt two Harleys and I wanted to know if you want to come with me, I'm taking them for their first test ride.'

'I get to ride one?' I was excited now.

'Duh, you've spent the last month moping around all depressed, I wanted to cheer you up and the only time I see you smile is when you're working on the bikes.'

'Thanks, I think.'

He tossed me the keys and we took off, the bikes looked gorgeous, he's polished and buffed them to perfection until they looked just like new.

The long bendy roads were almost empty due to how early it was but that made it a perfect time to test out these bikes, Rory definitely thought this through.

At first we went at a slow pace but I eventually got bored and revved the engine, Rory looked over at me and I smiled then flipped down my tinted visor. Before he could respond I let rip on the bike and watched the speedometer go up. It felt amazing to race up the curved roads and relax again, it was fun and so freeing.

And this time I've got my eyes peeled for any idiots in cars with no sense.

Rory and I ended up racing up and down the side of the mountain, I was winning when he hooted for me to pull over. I groaned but slowed and headed the bike over to the side, can I just say it's a pain in the ass to ride a Harley in red skinny jeans and a white crop top. Limited mobility and the wind is a bitch when it flies up your shirt.

Flipping the visor up I raised an eyebrow at Rory.

'I'm running low on fuel, think there's a leak in my tank so we should head back.'

'Sure.' I smiled.

'How's that one doing?' He nodded towards the bike I'd been riding.

'Like a dream.'

'Great, race you back?'

'Loser is the winner's slave for a day?' I know I can win, I'm lighter and better at weaving around the odd cars we pass.

'Deal.'

I hopped on my bike and we took off, my visor was down and I was in race mode, my whole body focused on the road. Even though all my muscles tensed and my hands gripped the handle bars tightly I couldn't have felt more relaxed.

I know that doesn't make sense but it's the way I feel.

As we sped into the tar yard in front of the huge garage I began to laugh, 'I win!'

I hopped off the bike and raced over to Rory, he was trying not to laugh at me. Trying but not succeeding.

'Shut it, I totally let you win.'

'No you didn't idiot. I won fair and square Rory.'

'Reg?' The smile dropped off my face as the recognized the voice that came from behind me.

I turned to face Alex, for a moment I was extremely grad that my helmet's visor was tinted so he couldn't see the pain on my face.

'What are you doing here?' I asked after a moment.

'You weren't answering my calls. I missed you.'

'You lied to me.'

'I know, and that was wrong. I'll do anything to gain back your trust Reg.'

'Why'd you do it?'

'I thought you needed protecting.' I guess my dad was right.

Rory came up from behind me, 'This guy giving you trouble?'

'Uh, no. No, it's fine.'

He nodded and headed inside.

'Who's that?' Alex asked.

'Just one of the mechanics. Rory's only a friend.'

'Good.'

'Good?'

'Yeah, otherwise I couldn't do this.' He confidently stepped forward and unclipped my helmet's chin strap. He very gently lifted it off and over my head. 'If you're going to hit me, please, anywhere but the nuts.'

With that he leaned forward and kissed me softly. As Alex was about to pull back I wrapped an arm around his neck and pulled him into a deep kiss, his hands wound around my waist.

'Don't you dare fucking leave like that again.' He whispered.

'I won't.'

'Will you come back?'

'I have to talk to my dad.'

'I may have already done that?'

'What!?' And my dad didn't kill him?

'When he was done yelling at me we talked, he's kinda packing your stuff up now.'

'Wha- How could he know I'd go?'

Alex smiled, 'Robert pointed out that because your mom has full custody she can have your dad arrested for keeping you here. Even if it's your choice.'

'Seriously?' I groaned.

'So, I'm not letting you out of my sight.' With that said he picked me up and swung me over his shoulder.

'Put. Me. Down. Now.'

He wrapped an arm around my legs to hold them still, 'Since you can't kick me, nope, I'm not putting you down.'

'I'm gonna get you for this.'

'I don't doubt it.'

"The reason men don't do laundry is because washing machines don't come with remote controls." –Erma Bombeck