Chapter 19

The next morning Evan and I cleaned up the house before our parents could see it, Avalon wanted to help but we agreed that she could only clean the kitchen since it was obvious my sister wouldn't have caused too much mess.

It took almost all day to get the damn house clean, from spilled drinks everywhere to jam on the kitchen ceiling and random things floating in the pool. There was even one of Avalon's old Barbie dolls on the barbecue, thankfully it hadn't been lit.

Evan acted a little strangely, asking me tons of questions about last night even though I told him I was too drunk to remember. He eventually stopped asking after I threw a shoe at him.

We ended up having pizza next to the pool for dinner, no one felt like cooking after all the cleaning so Avalon laid a duvet on the grass, Evan ordered pizza and I poured some drinks.

We were pigging out and just talking about random, weird things late into the night. It was kind of like a bonding moment to just be able to relax and talk about nothing important.

***

School drifted by slowly, classes boring me to death and teachers snapping their fingers to get my attention. I spent lunch in detention because my Math teacher caught me doodling instead of paying attention which means I didn't see my step brother or Avalon for most of the day, I only had one class with Evan during which I spent the hour at the back of the class not paying attention. Avalon's classes are all AP so obviously I never saw her.

After school I was asked to stay back by the guidance counselor, after sending Avalon a text to tell her I might be late I (eventually) found his office.

Mr Glossimer was written on the door in thick black writing. Walking in I noticed the tall man sitting behind his desk with a coffee cup in his hand, he looked up and raised his eyebrows.

'Reggie?'

'Yep.' I said.

'Have a seat.' I did. 'Do you know why I called you in here?'

'Because I kicked Zayn in his coin-box.'

He tried not to smile, 'No, that was explained and expunged from your record.'

'Oh, so why am I here?'

'Some of your teachers have spoken to me, you don't seem to pay attention in any classes but you hand in all homework and projects. Are you aware of what your grades are right now?'

'No, not really.'

'You qualify for AP classes in Math, biology, English, business studies and economics. These marks all come from your assignment marks and I'm afraid some teachers believe you've been having your sister do the work for you.'

Just because Avalon's in the AP classes!?

'She's not doing my work for me, I'm smart but I just don't like school.'

He nodded, 'Well I've already spoken with a few of the faculty and we've come up with a way to solve this.' He dug around his desk and then handed over a some pages stapled together and a pen.

'What's this?'

'A test. Math, Economics and Biology.' He gave me a smug look, 'Do that test in front of me and prove to me and your teachers that you're not a cheater.'

He's giving me a chance? That's a first for me. 'Okay.'

I got to work after he took my cell phone, the test was fairly easy, mostly questions I'd seen before with the wording reversed.

Handing it back to him I left in a huff, I can't believe my teachers think I could make my twin sister do my homework for me. I'd never make Avalon do that for me, I know she'd feel bad for being dishonest. I would never do that to her.