Chapter 8

I couldn't go home or Robert might catch me skipping class, I have no idea when he's home or at work. Stupid lawyer and his "flexible hours"

I rode around for a while until I ended up at an old book and coffee shop, I suppose you're supposed to buy a book and sit reading it while you drink coffee.

'Can I help you?' One of the sales guys asked me.

'Yeah, I'm looking for any medical books.' I figure it'll help cheer up Avalon.

He raised an eyebrow in disbelief and nodded toward a shelf full of thick books. Maybe my leather jacket and skinny jeans made him think I'm not the medical type. Well he's right.

'Thanks buddy.' I gave him my sweetest smile and headed over to the dusty books. I know Avalon would appreciate an older book than one of the new, shiny ones. She likes the history of it all or something like that.

I grabbed the biggest one with thick binding and a fancy looking cover, the thin embossed silver writhing told me it was printed in 1982. I paid for it with my dad's credit card and ended up taking a seat in the little coffee shop, the coffee was terrible but they had some good vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. Boring but yummy.

'Hey.' Someone tapped my shoulder gently and I whipped around ready to punch.

'Calum?' I narrowed my eyes.

He grinned, 'Calum.'

'Fine, you can sit down but if you're a jerk then I'll poke you in your eye.'

He sat down across from me with a smile, 'Damn, I don't have my protective goggles with me.'

'Funny.' I replied sarcastically. 'How'd you find me?'

'Drove around until I spotted the motorbike.'

'Ingenious. Your brother know where you are?'

'Nah, he's at the wrestling thing. I told him and Zayn they were assholes before I left though. Zayn took a swing at me.'

'Owch.'

'He missed.' Cal smirked, 'Evan was pissed off though, cussing Zayn and Luke to hell and back, mostly Zayn though.'

I nodded, 'Did you see Avalon before you left?'

'I saw Liam trying to get her to talk to him, it was hilarious though. She was trying really hard not to talk to him but Li kept following her until Evan told him to piss off.'

'Evan was watching out for Avalon?' I did not see that one coming.

'Yeah, he told Liam that if he didn't leave your sister alone he'd make sure he regrets it.'

'How would he do that, I doubt Evan would be able to beat him up.'

'Secrets are scarier that fists.' He yawned, 'Liam has a past of street fighting with that Alex guy, if Zayn ever found out they used to be friends he'd flip out and destroy Liam's social reputation.'

'Alex?'

'Shit.' His face creased, 'I wasn't supposed to tell you that. He's the guy Zayn was kicking.'

I laughed at his worried face, 'I won't let slip that you told me but I gotta go, school should be done by now so I can go home.'

'Sure, uh, I got the bill.' I waved wildly at a waitress who scurried over and pushed two hundred bills into her hand. 'Keep the change.'

'Woah, I don't think my bill was even a hundred, where'd you get all the cash?'

'Long story.' He checked his watch, 'Shit, I'm late and Luke's gonna have my ass.'