Chapter 4

Evan was silent for a while, looking back at me every now and then to make sure I was still following. He headed straight into Urban Outfitters, a slight smile on his face.

'Look I'm sorry about what happened earlier, I really am.' Evan said scratching the back of his neck.

'You should be more careful.'

'Believe me, I will be.'

I smirked at his worry, 'Good, we're cool.'

'Really?'

'Yep. Now help me find the tights.'

He shook his head slightly, chuckling, 'Sure, follow me.'

He walked me to the back of the shop where there was a wall covered in rails of different tights. All different patterns, colors and thicknesses. Nice.

'Thanks, um, I'll catch up with you when I'm done here?'

He nodded, 'Who ever's done first wait at the shop's entrance.'

'Good plan.'

That was the way we spent the day, going from shop to shop, splitting up and then meeting again after we paid for our clothes. I bought bags of comfy tights, tank tops, a few skater dresses, a leather jacket because it looked cool and lots of pairs of jeans. I ended up with enough different shopping bags that I had to use both hands to manage it all. Evan had even more stuff than me because he was replacing his entire closet, by the time we'd browsed all the clothing shops Evan had so many bags he kept dropping them.

'Damn it, lets dump this stuff in the car?' Evan finally growled.

'Yeah, I'm getting tired of you swearing every time you drop a bag.' I laughed as we headed to his car.

'Shut it.'

'Nope.'

He grumbled under his breath and unlocked the car boot, dumping in the bags. He took my stuff and put them in the car for me, I thanked him but I just got a grunt in response.

We headed back inside, me trailing behind Evan as he walked with a purpose.

'Where to next?' I asked.

'I want some lunch, friggin starving.'

'Can we go to Nando's?'

'No.'

Aww, 'Why not?'

'I don't like Nando's.'

'What is wrong with you!?' I gasped, stopping.

Evan rolled his eyes and took my hand so I had to keep walking, 'Nothing, I just feel like pizza. We'll get some in the food court.'

'Fine, can I have my hand back?'

Evan let go quickly, as if he'd forgotten he was holding my hand. 'Yeah, sure, little sis.'

'Who you calling little sis? I'm the same age as you idiot.'

'Really?' He looked generally shocked as we took a table in the large food court.

'I'm seventeen, gonna be eighteen in a few weeks.'

'Ha! I turned eighteen last month. I'm older and I'm going to go get a pizza, hope you're okay with Hawaiian.'

He didn't give me a chance to answer before marching off to the pizza shop, huh, well he can pay for lunch then.

I pulled out my cell phone and scrolled through apps looking for a game, I heard the sound of someone sitting down across from me. Evan was quick ordering the pizza.

I looked up but instead of seeing Evan I came face to face with a tan, dark haired boy. 'Um, who are you?'

'Name's Zayn.' He grinned and placed two milkshakes on the table, putting the strawberry one in front of me.

'I'm Reggie.' I pushed the strawberry shake back to him and took his chocolate one, sipping it. 'Thanks.' I smirked at his surprised face.

'Sure, I haven't seen you around here, you new in town?'

'Yeah, my mom married some guy that lived around here.'

He grinned, 'So you going to Ridge Mount High School?'

'Yep, I guess I'll see you there huh?'

'You will, I'm on the soccer team, left forward.' He said proudly. 'I, uh, saw you with Evan Williams. Are you dating him?'

I choked on the chocolate shake and ended up coughing. He patted me on the back until I could breathe properly again, I deliberated using my asthma pump but thought against it.

'Evan's my step brother! There's no way we're dating.'

He started chuckling, his black hair sticking up as he ran a hand through it. 'He told me his old man got hitched again but he didn't say anything about a hot step sister.'

I resisted the urge to slap him. 'We only met this morning.'

Evan was suddenly next to me, a pizza box in his hand, 'Hey , what are you up to Zayn?'

'Just introducing myself to your sister.' He smirked, 'Remember my lil sister? She misses ya.'

Evan's face hardened, 'Tell her to get over it.'

He raised an eyebrow, 'Whatever you say man. I have to go anyway.' He stood up with a smirk and squeezed my hand.

As he walked away I turned to Evan, 'What was that all about?'

He frowned, 'Look don't judge me okay? I slept with his sister at a party, I thought it was a one night stand but I guess she thought we were together afterwards.'

'Player much?'

'I was drunk and she's slept with half the soccer team so I figured it would be another no-strings-bang. I was being an idiot and I do regret it.'

'Eat your pizza dummy.' I said grinning with a slice of pizza in my hand.

'So you're not mad at me?'

'No but I still think you're a typical jock, player type guy.'

'I'm not! I watch Disney!' He said aghast.

I burst into giggles, my hand clutching the table, 'You can watch The Little Mermaid with Avalon!' I said between laughs.

'Lucky me.' Evan deadpanned.

"You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter. You are the best thing that's ever been mine."- Taylor Swift.