Prologue

"Scout, I've got a job for you."

I cringed when Marcus spoke, my mind immediately screaming at him.

"What is it?" I asked instead of saying what I really wanted to say.

"There's someone who hasn't paid their debt yet. It's overdue and you need to let him know that we need the money."

I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from telling him to go away and do it himself. "Okay, I'll head out now."

"Good."

I grinded my teeth and headed to the garage. That's it, no 'thank you' for me. I really don't think he remembers that I'm his daughter. That's a good thing though, because I don't want him to be my father.

I spent my anger in driving recklessly until I found out exactly where the man was. I found him in a bar and heading out. As he was passing an empty alley, I attacked him, pushing him into the alley until we were fairly concealed.

"Where's the money?" I demanded, the edge of my knife beginning to cut the skin on the man's neck.

He backed away from me until he was pinned against the wall.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Meselva is getting impatient," I said. "Where is the money that you owe him?"

"I'm getting it!" He said desperately.

"Your deadline was last week."

"It's too much! I couldn't get it all in that time. I need at least two more weeks."

He struggled against me, but I pressed harder with my knife and he stopped his movements.

I shook my head. "Marcus wants it now."

The man then shoved me backwards, freeing himself, and he took off running out of the alley and into the street. I chased after him, only realizing too late that there was a car heading straight for me. The driver slammed on the brakes, the tired screeching, but the car wasn't going to stop in time and I got hit, my head colliding with the pavement and I blacked out.