Wednesday, July 24th, 8:20 pm

We all have two parts to our one — the conscious and the subconscious. The subconscious mind can be dangerously animalistic in protecting oneself or detrimental when we act upon our feelings. It is said, here is where we find our motivation, fears, desires, and creativity. It's the genetic pre-wiring.

In nature, an animal doesn't think to eat to survive or fight to stay alive. They simply follow the instructions of their subconscious mind that instinctively wants to protect them.

Often, when we clear our busy thoughts, we are able to communicate between the two halves of us. When this happens, we're empowered to logically examine aspects within our subconscious mind and argue whether it's trying to protect us or derail us because it doesn't like change. The subconscious mind can be driven by emotion, fueling frustration, and anger when things don't go the way we intended.

Clearing your mind also helps connect the two parts more soundly. It empowers us with the tools necessary for survival and success.

Beads of sweat trickle down the sides of my face as I shift my weight from one foot to the other, analyzing my opponent. I'm hyperaware of her reaction reflex to my fake advancements and adjust accordingly to not blind me. I paw a stomp forward to test the waters, switch my stance, avoiding her aggressive move. I advanced into her space, causing Stephanie to step back in defense. I render a cross-jab to her ribs — she shifts away. I match moving fluidly with her. She tosses a desperate punch misjudging my ability to drop under and avoid the hit.,

Five years ago, I went into the ring tossing jab after jab, right hook after right hook to only fail. It wasn't until Sgt. Williams took me in as his prodigy did I learn and refine the proper techniques I had once held. Once I got back in the ring, I had no problem throwing aim at my opponents. I cleared all of the built-up anger, that was waging war for a release, during my sparring sessions. I threw careless punches. I was exhibiting more fight and flight reflexes than the controlled, skilled movements I had accomplished after that.

It took a great deal of work to get here. But determination and clearing my head pushed me in the right direction to reach my goals.

As expected, I bounce on my feet, judging my opponents' next move attempting to tire them out.

And tire them out I do.

"Light on your feet," Sgt. Williams yells at my opponent, "Pull your punches!" he yells again.

Stephanie abruptly stops, turning toward him, "Wasn't that what I was doing?"

"Get out of my ring!" his face turns red with corded veins pulsating the surface of his neck — a stark contrast against his black polo shirt with the Range white logo.

My opponent climbs through the ropes, and I follow. I glance out into the sweat-filled crowd once my feet are on solid ground. Sgt. Williams meets my eyes. His are full of warmth and pride.

"Good match," I offer to Stephanie, having ripped the tape off a glove to free my hand.

"Yeah," she walks swiftly toward the locker room, leaving my hand hanging. I shrug it off as she probably wants to avoid wrath for her disrespectful tone.

Sgt. Williams closes the distance as I lift the bottle, gulping water. "Meredith, you, my darling, were phenomenal." He says, standing front and center making me feel exposed.

I swallow and thank him. Praise isn't something I've handled well in years. If he had talked such as that six years ago, it would've been a different story. Now though, it's unsettling, leaving me craving for a place to hide.

"Come to my office before you leave, will you?" he asks. I saluted in response, still trying to catch my breath. Reluctantly, I shake hands with those who come up and congratulate me on my progress.