Tuesday, July 30th, 11:50 am

The cloudless sky only heightened the fierce sun. It was hot, but not too hot. Dare I say pleasant? I reach for my sunglasses welcoming the dimmer light.

Anna pushes the crosswalk button and folds her arms across her chest. "What are you working on?"

I tilt my head to the side, "You know I can't tell you."

She rolls her eyes, "It's not like the other side will ever cross my desk."

I shake my head, "You don't know that." She stands stark still. "Fine, I'll tell you what it is, but I'm not divulging any information. What I tell you anyone from the public can get their hands on."

She inclined her head, "That's fair."

"Do you remember the drive by shooting in Oakland months ago?" I ask.

She flinches, "The one where a little girl was shot?" I know she's already regretting asking.

I nod, "Yep, that's the one."

"I'm sorry," she stands hugging herself. The light changes and we cross swiftly. "Why are you on it? I mean are you representing the family?" she asks holding the door to the deli open.

"Can't say," I tell her stepping inside and up to a short line for us to order. "Mrs. Stanley asked me specifically to give her feedback by Friday."

"Must be something bad if she's handpicking people." She mumbles lifting her shades to the top of her head.

I glance at the special of the day and decided to try it. "It's nothing at all what you're thinking, it's more complicated. How about we leave it at that," I recommend.

"What are you getting?" she asks still undecided concentrating on the menu. She knows what she wants, she just tries to believe she can order something else, but then finally goes with her normal order. She's infuriating sometimes.

The line moves quickly. I order a Reuben and sweet tea while Anna stands fiddling with the ring on her right hand shifting her weight on one foot then the next. "Just order," I whisper shout at her.

She moans objectively, "Fine, I'll have the turkey on rye, with half the amount of that spread you normally put on sandwiches, lettuce, hold the tomato and extra chips, please."

"Will that be all," the lady at the register asks.

"No, add two chocolate chip cookies," Anna turns smiling from ear to ear. "Oh, I forgot. A tea, unsweetened please." I pay for the order and she hands us a number to put on our table. We stop for straws and napkins before we find a seat at the window. One might think it's bizarre to have tables line the window, but I love to people watch, so it's perfect for me. Anna people stalks with elongated descriptions of their outfits. It's entertaining. Anna put the number for the server between us and we settled into our seats.

"I almost forgot," Anna starts, "last Thursday on my shift the Old Hag begged me to take her to Bingo." She sighs, "Would you please go?" When I start to object, she continues, "You know I can't go to bingo without supervision. I almost got kicked out last time. And Betty would be really sad if we can't go." She lays it on thick.

"It sounds like a you problem," I tell her.

She splayed her hand out on her chest. "You've wounded me."

"Anna, if you could learn to remain silent, you wouldn't 'almost' get kicked out of places." I quip just as our food arrives. The server asks if there's anything else she can get us and moves on when we decline. Anna pokes her straw into the lid of her drink taking a sip. She immediately sticks her tongue out in disgust. "This is yours. Here, give me that?" She reaches out for my cup already freeing the straw from the wrapper and takes a sip. "Much better. Okay, so back to bingo. These people are crazy, Mer. Like cult crazy. There's no talking. They line things up in front of them that are something like good luck charms and it's insane. They've lost their marbles. I have to be plumb dumb to go without backup."

"I have all the faith you can do it without my help." I dismiss her and take a bite of my sandwich. "Mmm, this is good." I wipe my mouth placing the napkin back in my lap.Gram was really hard on me with manners. Just like Uncle Theo with his 'no elbows on the table' rules. Gram would've scolded me if I'd done that in her presence.

"Maybe I can talk her into going to a water aerobics class at the Y instead," Anna chews on the thought before taking a bite of her own.

Lunch was good. I wouldn't admit this to my roommate, but getting out and away from the office was nice. We say our goodbyes and parted ways with the energy food provides.it.

The afternoon went by smoothly. I found some interesting information about the grandmother that I'll ask about tomorrow. I feel more confident now than I did this morning that I'll be prepared for Friday's lunch.

I insert the key to our apartment to find it unlocked. "Anna!" I yell peering around and quickly locking it. My naive roommate doesn't acknowledge her name. Anyone could have walked in here without her awareness. The music transcends fusing molecules in the air. The flowers overwhelm the room and I smile at the thought. I drop the smile remembering what those feelings can lead to.

Walking down the hall toward our bedrooms, my insides coil as the music grows louder. I round the corner and witness her unequivocal state of bliss. Swinging her hips back and forth to the rhythmic beat, she places the last of her dark curls securely with bobby pins. Her reflection meets mine. With her mouth in the shape of an "o," she jumps, lifts a hand to her chest, she spins around falling against her dresser. But no one would be able to hear the gasp I'm sure she made. With how loud the music is thrashing. A single curl slips from its place framing one side of her heart-shaped face. She reaches over in a haphazard attempt to push the pause button on her iPod nearly knocking it off the shelf.

"You scared the bejesus out of me!" She chastises, bright blue eyes glare paralyzed in her full body slip. Only her chest is rising and falling as hard as the bass moments ago filled the room.

"You didn't lock the door." I say curtly leaning against the door frame.

Rolling her eyes to mask her previously frightened state, she returns to the mirror and pins the loose curl. "Ugh, not this again." After dropping her hands and turning her head side to side to inspect the finished product, her eyes locked on mine. "You know we live in the safest neighborhood, Mer." She spins around, places a hand on her hip in defiance and continues. "It's not uncommon for people around here to forget once in a while to lock their doors at night. Nothing ever happens here."

"I'm going to The Range. Stopped to grab my bag," I push against the wall, stopping in my room to change. No sense in doing it there when everything here.

Dressed in workout gear, I grab my headphones, wallet and work my way through the hallway. I wave to Anna in passing. The sight of the flowers warms my heart. What are the chances he picked daisies by luck? Memories flood of daddy. He was such a strong man. I wonder if he's proud of the person I've become. Would he be happy that I made something of my life, or disappointed that I moved on? Or angry that I won't let love into my heart now? I pluck one of the daisies out of the vase bringing it to my nose closing my eyes. Andre. What is the right thing to do? No doubt my heart skips a beat at the sound of the beautiful accent, or the sparkle in his eyes, or...

I lean back against the pantry door dreaming of what a life with a boyfriend or just dating would be like. Do I have the time? Would I be able to juggle the things that I've made a top priority and a man in my life? Would something have to be sacrificed? Sacrifice takes something precious in exchange for the appeasement of a high power. A devotion to something that cannot be satisfied by a simple promise because no matter the circumstances it's asking for nothing in return.

"Oops," Anna surprises me. I scramble to hide the flower behind my back and get out the door. "Oh, Meredith?" I turn around, "I spoke to him today," she smiles.

"Why do you act like this is so important to you?" I concede holding the door.

"I don't know," she paused, considering the answer. "These past few days, I've seen a fire in your eyes that I never have before. Granted, it's mostly anger and frustration, but it's still emotion. You keep everything locked up so tight - I'm afraid that someday you're going to explode."

"You're ridiculous and crazy Anna!" I laugh closing the door behind me.