Chapter 7

POV Betty

I giggled with Kevin and Veronica as we walked through the halls to our first class. I glanced over at Cheryl and noticed that she looked worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Did you see how upset he looked?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Not really, why? Don't tell me that you feel bad for him" I replied.

"Of course not. He just looked so mad. It was a little scary" she explained.

"I think that you should stop messing with him and just avoid him for a while. He's dangerous" C added.

I shrugged and said, "Alright. I'll try but only for you" I gave her big eyes and she laughed at me. I hugged her and she hugged me back.

"I'm so glad that you're here. I missed you so much" she said.

"I missed you too." I replied. We walked into our class and sat together next to Kevin and Veronica. The rest of the morning went well and soon it was lunchtime.

POV Jughead

I was annoyed. First by what Betty said to me this morning and again because she was ALWAYS with one of her friends. She was never alone and I knew that V, C and Kevin wouldn't let me talk to her, at least for very long. By the time lunch rolled around, I was in a terrible mood.

"You ok, Jug?" Toni whispered as we walked into the lunchroom. I shrugged. She looked at me and shook her head.

"Still upset about Betty?" she asked and I glared at her, warning her to shut up. She held up her hands and I followed her into the line to buy food. Toni ended up getting in line behind Cheryl who was in line with Betty, Veronica and Kevin. I rolled my eyes. Were these four just attached at the hip?

"Hey, Cheryl. How's the first day treating ya?" Toni asked. I couldn't help but grin. Toni adored Cheryl but Cheryl was really good at playing it cool. Cheryl looked over at Toni and smiled.

"Not bad. Better since my two girls are here now." Cheryl replied, gesturing to Veronica and Betty. Toni nodded at them.

"Good. What are you doing tonight? Want to grab a burger with me at Pop's?" Toni asked hopefully.

Cheryl looked at Toni and grinned.

"I'd love to but I already made plans to go to Pop's with these three" Cheryl replied and everyone could hear the regret in her voice. There was silence for a moment.

"Why don't you join us, Toni?" Betty suggested. Kevin and Veronica nodded to Cheryl. C brightened.

"Yeah! Why don't you?" Cheryl added and Toni lit up.

"Really? That would be great! Thanks!" Toni replied and I smiled at her happiness. She and Cheryl worked out the times as we went through the line. As they chatted, I observed Betty. She and Kevin and Veronica laughed and joked the whole time. I was glad to see that Betty put actual food on her plate and was surprised that V did the same.

"Would you like to join us for lunch, Toni?" V asked and Toni hesitated and looked at me.

"I'd love to but I can't abandon my boys" Toni replied. C looked sad and Betty saw it. Betty looked thoughtful for a moment.

"They can join us too" Betty stated. Kevin, C and V looked at her sharply but Betty just smiled and nodded.

"You sure?" I asked and she nodded at me.

"Fangs and Sweet Pea too?" Toni clarified and all three of them nodded. I noticed that Kevin smiled at the mention of Fangs and Veronica rose her eyebrows when she said Sweet Pea. I grinned and followed them to an empty table. Betty sat between V and C. Kevin, Toni and I sat on the other side and I was glad that I ended up sitting across from Betty. Toni and Cheryl chatted some more while B and V whispered to each other.

"She's a nice girl" Kevin said quietly to me. I looked at him with surprise. I didn't think that he would be brave enough to talk to me about Betty. He must really care for her to put himself out like that.

"Ok" I replied with a smirk.

"Why are you being so mean to her?" he asked, I glared at him but he didn't even flinch.

"I'm mad at her" I replied, honestly. Kevin looked surprised.

"Why?" he blurted out. I shrugged.

"She left" I replied simply. He looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I was.

"That's not fair. She didn't want to leave. She had to. Her mom made her. She tried to stay in contact with you. YOU'RE the one who ghosted HER" he snapped and it was my turn to look surprised. I knew that he was right but I was shocked that he actually said it to me.

"Well, aren't you being brave today?" I remarked and he scoffed and stared at me. I shrugged.

"I know" I replied and he rolled his eyes at me. Just then, Sweet Pea and Fangs walked out of the lunch line and looked around for us. Toni waved them over and I saw the surprised smile on each of their faces. Fangs quickly sat on the other side of Kevin and Sweet Pea sat across from him and next to Veronica. She turned to him and he smirked.

"Hey, beautiful" Sweets began and V giggled. I rolled my eyes and realized that Fangs was hitting on Kevin. I looked at Betty and she grinned at her friends but then caught my eye and frowned.

"Well, our friends seem to like each other" I commented to her and she nodded.

"Listen, Betts" I began, using the name I used when we were younger. She glared at me but didn't reply.

"I really am sorry for how I was at the party and for following you at the movies." I tried but she rolled her eyes.

"Stop. I know that you aren't" she snapped and I grinned at her.

"Maybe I'm not but I AM sorry that you seem to be mad at me over it" I replied, honestly. She looked at me and shook her head.

"You really are used to getting your way all the time, aren't you?" she asked and I shrugged.

"I'm the Serpent prince. Most people are too scared to tell me no" I explained.

"Well, I'm not" she said and I nodded. After she said it, I realized that I didn't want her to be afraid of me any more. I didn't want her to do and say whatever I wanted because she was scared of what I would do. Fear wasn't the way I wanted to rule her anymore. I wanted her more than that. I wanted her to love me. Crap.