Chapter 15

Betty POV

After we got into the car, V and C turned to me.

"Was it him?" V demanded and I nodded.

"Yep. I don't know how he got my number again. I'll have to change it. I'm so sick of changing numbers, V." I sighed as she held me tightly.

"I know you are but it's the best way for him to leave you alone" V replied and C nodded. Kevin and Toni looked confused but didn't ask anything.

"You don't think that he knows that you moved, do you?" C asked nervously.

"I don't know how he would." I responded and she relaxed.

"What's going on?" Kevin finally asked but V shook her head.

"Nothing for you to worry about. We've got it taken care of." I replied, brightly. V and C fake smiled and quickly changed the subject but V kept her arm around me the rest of the ride back to our house and both Toni and Kevin looked unconvinced.

V and I hugged the other three goodbye as they headed back to the school so Toni could get her bike and Kevin could get her car. I carefully took our dresses out of the bag and handed the bag and her dress back to Toni. She smiled and I hugged her again.

"It was so nice to hang out with you. Promise that we can do it again?" I whispered to her. She looked surprised but smiled and nodded. The car waited until we got the door open and then pulled away.

"We're home!" V called and both our moms walked in with smiles. We showed them our dresses and they loved them both. Then we told them about our day. Mom looked concerned when we told her about Jughead paying for our dresses and they both looked upset about the Ghoulies.

"You shouldn't go near them again. Promise me, Betty" My mom interrupted.

"I won't. I promise" I reassured her. I sighed and then told them about the phone call. They both looked frantic for a moment but calmed themselves.

"We'll changed your phone number tonight. If this continues, I think that we should talk to FP about it" Hermione replied. I shook my head but my mom cut me off.

"She's right. The Serpents could just watch over you. Make sure that he can't hurt you" she added.

"I thought that you didn't want anything to do with the Serpents?" I asked and she shrugged.

"They aren't that bad. I know that they would keep you safe" she replied and I sighed.

"Funny that you should say that" V began and quickly explained about Mac, the dance and the fact that Sweet Pea and Jug wanted to take us all to the Worm.

"I don't know about this" Hermione protested.

"It might be good that the Serpents at least know them and they know where they can go in case something goes wrong. If he shows up, they'll need to be protected." Mom explained and Hermione looked thoughtful.

"He doesn't know where we are" I argued and V nodded.

"Yeah. This is just like the other times. I don't know how he keeps getting her number but once we change it, it's fine" V added and I looked at her, gratefully.

"Ok, but I want you to go to the Worm after the dance" Mom decided and Hermione nodded.

"Now, what's going on with Mac?" Mom asked with a knowing grin. I told her my plan. Hermione laughed but Mom frowned.

"This is dangerous. The Serpents are known to be overprotective and Jughead is no different. This might end badly" She warned.

"I don't think that it will go that far, mom" I assured her and she smiled then.

"Fine. Give him hell then" she chuckled.

The rest of the night and the next morning went by quickly. I got stopped after class right before lunch by Dilton in the hallway while I was walking with C.

"Betty! I need to ask you about the last homework question!" he called. C sighed and I looked at her. I knew that she was in a hurry to get to see Toni.

"Go ahead. I'll catch up" I told her. She rose her eyebrows at me.

"You sure?" she asked as Dilton hurried over to us. I nodded.

"Of course, it's Dilton. He's nice" I replied and she smiled and hurried away. Dilton met me and we went over the problem until he got it.

"Thanks, Betty. You're a lifesaver" he gushed but I shook my head.

"I'm sure that you would have figured it out" I replied and he grinned.

"Maybe but it would have taken me forever" he smiled and stepped closer to me. I was suddenly aware that we were the only ones in the deserted hallway.

"How about I take you to Pop's after school to thank you?" he asked in a rare stroke of boldness. He put his arm around me just as I heard someone crash into the hallway behind me.

"That's nice of you, Dilton but really not necessary" I began until I noticed that he wasn't paying any attention to me and was looking at someone behind me in horror. I turned slightly to see Jughead thundering over to us. His eyes were glued on Dilton's arm on my shoulder. I sighed and his eyes traveled to mine. When he looked at me, his face softened slightly but hardened again when Dilton spoke up.

"Hey, Jughead. What did you need? Homework help?" Dilton asked looking nervous. Jughead reached us and stared at Dilton for a moment.

"I need for you to get your arm off my girl" he answered darkly.

"I didn't know that you were together" Dilton replied as he quickly took his arm away. He shifted away from me.

"We aren't. Jughead is in denial" I snapped. I was surprised when Dilton stepped close to me again and even more shocked when his arm snaked around my waist.

"What the hell?!" Jughead yelled as he stepped towards Dilton and tore his arm off me.

"You heard Betty. She doesn't want you" Dilton argued shocking both of us even more. I quickly stepped between the two boys so Jughead couldn't hurt him.

"Baby, move." Jughead growled at me.

"Stop, Jughead. You have no right to do this" I yelled. Just then a teacher walked down the hallway.

"What's going on here?" She asked.

"Nothing" I replied with a smile as everyone eased away from each other.

"You shouldn't be in the halls. Get to lunch" she ordered. We nodded and turned toward the lunchroom.

"This isn't over" Jughead muttered as we walked. I was enraged at his behavior and turned to Dilton.

"I'd love to go to Pop's with you after school. Should I meet you there?" I said loud enough for Jughead to hear as we walked into the cafeteria. I felt Jughead stiffen next to me. Dilton gave me a knowing smile.

"I have my car. Can I drive you over?" he asked and I nodded.

"I'll meet you at your locker after the last bell" he added. Jughead stormed away and I looked at Dilton guiltily.

"Don't worry. I know that your doing this to piss Jughead off. I'm ok with it" he grinned but I was having second thoughts.

"I shouldn't use you like that. It might get you beat up" I began but he stopped me.

"Nah. I help all the Serpents with their schoolwork. They would all flunk without me. They won't touch me" he smirked and I looked at him hopefully.

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"Besides, I want to help you out. You're a nice girl and I want to be friends" he added and I grinned.

"Thanks, Dilton" I said and quickly kissed him on the cheek. He hurried off to his friends with a blush and I jumped into the lunch line, avoiding the stares of my friends.