Chapter 16

Betty POV

I felt the heated looks of my friends on my back as I waited in line. Suddenly I felt someone press against my back.

"What the hell are you doing, princess?" Jughead whispered in my ear. I closed my eyes for a second and then shrugged.

"I'm in line for lunch" I replied with a fake smirk. I made the mistake of turning to look at his face. His eyes were dark and the rage shown there took my breath away.

"You know what I mean. What are you playing at with Dilton of all people?" he asked.

"I was just helping him with some homework problem and he wanted to take me to Pop's to thank me" I replied, honestly. Jughead's face cleared suddenly and he smirked.

"You really think that Dilton needed help with a homework problem? He's a genius. He could practically write the textbook" he asked with a sneer. I turned away as the realization hit me. He was right.

"He was playing you so he could take you out. He likes you" Jughead continued as we picked up some food. I shrugged and avoided looking at him. Suddenly, he was in front of me. He sighed and put his tray down. He gently put his fingers under my chin and forced me to look at him.

"You aren't going out with him" he ordered and I jerked my chin away. We walked to the cashier and I took out my wallet but Jughead had already paid. I began to protest but he just walked over to our friends. I sighed as I realized that I had no choice but to follow him. I started to but suddenly stopped. My pride wouldn't allow it. I looked around at my options. Archie and the jocks were at a nearby table. I knew that I could sit with him but that would lead him on. I saw Dilton on the other side of the room with his friends. I could sit with him but I was kinda pissed that he played me a minute ago. I sighed and quickly decided.

"Hey!" Archie looked up with surprise as I neared him. He shot a glare at a boy next to him and the boy quickly got up and offered me his seat.

"Please sit with me, Betty" Archie said with a smile. I sighed but sat down.

"I needed to talk to you about Saturday" I began after Archie had introduced me to all his friends.

"My best friend from New York is coming in late Friday night and I can't abandon him on Saturday" I explained. Archie looked upset but covered it quickly.

"Ok, but next Saturday we're going to spend the whole day together, agreed?" he snapped. I tried to think quickly but again, my slow brain wasn't cooperating. After a second, I agreed, hoping that I could come up with a new excuse next week.

Archie beamed at me, "Great! Now that that's settled, what are you doing tonight?" he pressed.

"Dilton and I are going to Pop's together" I announced, grateful that I had a legitimate excuse. Archie looked at me in disbelief.

"Dilton? Really? Why?" he asked loudly. The rest of the table stopped to look at us and I felt exposed for a moment. Quickly I pushed the feeling away, reminding myself that my days of caring what other people thought about me were long over. I shrugged.

"He just asked me. He seems nice so I agreed" I said, deciding to leave out the ruse he used to convince me.

Archie shook his head, "No. You can't be seen out with Dilton. People will laugh at you and judge you" .

I scoffed, "I don't care what other people do. Dilton is a nice guy and I'm going to Pop's with him." I replied firmly. I sighed and took a couple of bites of my food but realized that I was no longer hungry. I was just about to get up when I felt Archie's arm around my shoulder.

"You are still that sweet little girl that's nice to everyone, aren't you?" Archie grinned down at me in a condescending tone. I glared at him.

"Nope. I just don't give a fuck what ass hat's think about me. I'm nice to people that are nice to me and that I like." I replied bluntly. Archie froze in shock. Of course that's right when Jughead came over with Sweet Pea and Veronica behind him. I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, B. How's it going?" Veronica hurried to get to me first. She slid into the seat next to me right as Jughead and Sweet Pea reached us.

"Seriously, Betty? How many guys are going to have their hands on you today?" Jughead stormed. I shook my head and Archie glared at him. Veronica turned to me and winked. I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

"He has a point, B. I thought that you and Mac had decided last night to finally be official" V lied. I looked at her but then caught sight of Jug's face and decided not to push it too far.

"We are still talking about it but haven't decided yet" I replied as I shook Archie's arm off and stood. V stood with me and linked her arm with mine. I grabbed my stuff and cleared the table. V and I walked off without another word. When we finally got out to the hall, we both chuckled.

"That was great thinking on your feet" I complimented V and she grinned.

"Why, thank you" she laughed as we walked to our lockers. Suddenly, we were very aware of Jughead and Sweet Pea following us into the hall.

"We need to talk" Jughead said as he approached me like a storm cloud.

"Do we, though?" I asked with a smirk as I slammed my locker shut.

"Yeah, we do" he argued as he backed me against my locker and caged me in with his arms.

"Are you going to make it a habit to trap me places every time you want to discuss something?" I snarled. He leaned his face closer to mine.

"If you keep running away from me then, yeah, I am" he whispered. I stared him down but it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest.

"First, stop trying to make me jealous with all these guys. Its a dangerous game and you don't want it to back fire on you" he began. I was about to argue when he cut me off.

"Second, and most importantly, what was up with that phone call the other day?" he demanded. I was thrown off my game by the question. I knew that he had noticed the call but I thought that he was too distracted by Dilton, Archie and Mac to think about it. I was silent for a moment and he rose his eyebrows.

"Trying to come up with a lie, princess? Don't. I'll see through it and I'm not about to let this go so you might as well tell me. I'll find out either way." he threatened.

"You're right. I don't need to lie to you because it's none of your business. It's mine and I have it handled. Like I've said before, I don't need you to save me. You aren't my hero" I snapped pushing him away. Sadly, he didn't go far, it was like pushing a brick wall.

"Well, that's where you are wrong. You are my business and I saw how scared you and Veronica and even Cheryl were. I'm not about to let that stand. My girl doesn't need to be scared of anyone. I won't allow that." he snarled back.

"You keep forgetting that I'm. Not. You're. Girl." I yelled as the halls began to fill back up. I pushed him away again and this time he let me.

"We'll see" he grinned and kissed my cheek. He was gone in a flash and I was left fuming for the rest of the school day.