Chapter 18

POV Jughead

I woke up Friday morning still in a rage. My Serpents never did manage to find Betty but one of them finally noticed that Dilton's car was back at his house. I had Sweet Pea visit him to make sure that Betty made it home safe and to threaten him to never take my girl out again. Dilton refused to agree to that but we will see. I didn't want to harm him because he's valuable to the Serpents. He makes sure that we all pass our classes but if he continues to come between Betty and I, I'll have no choice.

After we made it to school, I was constantly looking for Betty.

"Still looking for her?" Toni asked and I nodded.

"Maybe you should just leave her alone for a bit? You know, give her some space?" Fangs suggested and I glared at him.

"He's got a point, boss. She's a nice girl and the Serpent life would destroy her" Toni added.

I shook my head, "Nope. I'm going to keep all that from her. She will be protected at all costs. That's why I can't leave her alone. I can't keep her safe if I'm not with her" I explained.

Toni sighed and Fangs shook his head at me. Then they both walked away.

"I don't know what their problems are. It makes sense to me" Sweet Pea replied as we watched them go. I shrugged and continued my search. If Toni and Fangs had a problem with my decisions they would have to deal with it. My word was law.

I finally spotted Betty as the first bell rang. She was hurrying to class with Kevin, C and V. I shook my head and ran over to her. She ignored me as I came up and I stepped in front of her.

"Can you move? We need to get to class" She snapped at me. I glared at her and shook my head.

"Nope. We need to talk" I began but she cut me off.

"Yeah. Yeah. So you've said. I don't have time right now. Don't want to be late" she quickly sidestepped around me and I snarled at her as she hurried away. I sighed, resolved to catch her at lunch.

Lunch took forever to arrive but finally, Sweet Pea and I were walking into the cafeteria. We sat at our usual table to wait for the girls. Toni and Fangs came in a few minutes later and walked over to us.

"They aren't coming. They all brought their lunches and decided to eat outside" Fangs informed us.

"Ok. Let's join them" I suggested. We grabbed some chips, drinks and sandwiches and hurried outside. This girl was sure a lot of work, I thought to myself. Finally we spotted them sitting on the bleachers, surrounded by a group of kids. They were all talking and laughing together. When we got closer I realized that the other kids were from all sorts of groups. It was strange to see kids from so many different lifestyles all together and getting along. At the center of all of them was Cheryl, Kevin, Veronica and Betty. They seemed to be the glue for all of them. I smiled and shook my head.

We walked over to them and the other kids let us through as soon as they saw who we were. I slid in next to Betty while Sweet Pea, Fangs and Toni sat behind us.

"Hey" I said quietly while the rest of the conversations continued.

"Oh, hey" Betty replied with a dull tone.

"Making even more friends, I see" I grinned as she rolled her eyes.

"What do you want, Jug?" she snapped and I shrugged.

"We still haven't finished our talk." I began but someone cut me off.

"Hey, Betty! Can you tutor me after school today?" Midge asked as she rushed over. Betty smiled at the brunette and nodded.

"Yep but just for an hour. I have to get ready for the dance" Betty replied as she cleaned up her lunch stuff and got up.

"You are a lifesaver. Thanks, Betty" Midge gushed as they walked away together. I glared in frustration and V grinned at me.

"Why don't you just give up? She's never going to be with you. You screwed up and even if you hadn't, she wouldn't settle down. Just leave her alone" V lectured and I shrugged.

"I like a challenge. We'll pick you two up at seven. We got a limo. After we pick you up, we'll go get C and Kevin" I explained but Kevin, who was eavesdropping, interrupted.

"No need. C and I are getting ready at V and Betty's house. You can pick us all up there." he said and I nodded.

"Perfect. See you tonight" I replied and got up. I walked in the direction that Betty and Midge went in but slowed when I heard hushed voices. I hid in a shadow as I got closer and realized that it was Betty and Midge.

"What am I going to do, Betty? My parents will kill me if they find out" Midge whispered. It sounded like she had been crying.

"It's not up to them. The question is, what do you want to do? It's your decision." Betty replied.

"I'm not sure yet. I need to think some more." Midge responded and Betty nodded.

"Have you talked to Moose about it? Does he know?" Betty continued.

"Not yet. Do you think I should?" Midge continued.

"Like I said, it's you decision but you might want to see what he thinks too." Betty added and she nodded.

"Thanks Betty. You are so great. I better go find him" Midge gushed and hugged Betty. Then she hurried away. Betty stood there for a moment and I took the chance.

"What was that all about?" I asked as I walked close to her, already fairly certain of the answer. She jumped and then glared.

"None of your business" She snapped and started to walk away. I stood in front of her with my hands up.

"Please. Just give me one minute" I pleaded and she stopped.

"Fine. One minute" she relented and I smirked.

"I'm sorry for pushing about the phone call. I won't ask you anymore. I'm not promising that I won't try to find out but I will stop bothering you about it, deal?" I tried and she nodded slowly. I grinned and reached out for her. She stiffened for a moment and then hugged me back.

"I know that it is your business but I just hate seeing you upset, baby." I whispered and she nodded into my chest. After a few seconds, she pulled away and I noticed that she had tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong, princess?" I asked in alarm. She shrugged and tried to wipe away her tears but I stopped her.

"Please tell me. Whatever it is, I'll fix it." I begged and she scoffed.

"You can't fix everything, Juggie." she replied and my heart melted at the use of her old pet name for me.

"I can try. For you I would literally do anything, Betts. You have to know that" I said and she smiled at me.

"That's not what I need or want, Juggie." she said and I sighed. I pulled her close again.

"I missed you, Juggie" she whispered.

"I missed you too, Betts" I murmured back.