Chapter 29

POV Betty

"I can do this. I can do this. I HAVE to do this." I mumbled to myself as I wobbled out of my room. It was late or early, depending on your point of view. I had managed to send them all home a few minutes ago. Mom, Hermione and V all wanted to spend the night but I had argued and F.P. drove them home with promises that they would be back in a few hours. I knew that I had to be quick but I needed to see it. To be sure.

I had overheard the doctor telling Mom where it was right before she left. He asked if she wanted a moment with the body but she refused. He explained that it would be moved to the morgue in an hour or so. I had quickly and quietly unhooked everything from me and slid out of the bed. My leg was in unrelenting pain but I had one thing left to do. I limped down the empty hallway. Luckily, the room was close to my own. I struggled to open the door when I heard the voice and froze. I closed my eyes. Of course, HE didn't leave. I should have known.

"What are you doing, baby?" his anger laced voice asked. I turned to him slowly as he grabbed my arms.

"Would you believe, going to the bathroom?" I tried, weakly. He chuckled darkly.

"Nope" he snapped. He looked at me and sighed.

"Seriously, Betts? You can barely stand! What the hell are you thinking?" he ranted and I snapped.

"I need to see it.." I began and he looked confused.

"Him. I need to see him. To be sure. So I know" I continued and realization flooded his face.

"Hell, no! You don't need to see that!" he replied as he shook his head. I glared at him.

"It's not your choice! I need this, Jug. I have to see it. I need to." I looked at him and he paused. I shook my head.

"You can't understand. Just leave me alone" I snarled and he sighed.

"Fine, but I'm sure as hell not going to let you go in there by yourself" He snapped and I saw red.

"LET ME?! Fuck off" I replied and used my anger and the last of my energy to pull away and open the door. I hurried in but he was right behind me. I glared at him but then froze when I saw the body on the bed. I was transfixed by it. I limped closer as Jughead hurried to stand behind me. I stared for a moment before I remembered what I was there to do. I grabbed his wrist and checked for a pulse.

"What are you doing?" Jug whispered but I ignored him and continued. I checked his pulse point in is neck next.

"Betty. Stop." He said, louder but again, I ignored him. As I reached to check his eyes, Jug's hands stop me.

"No, Betty. Quit it. That's enough" he commanded. I shook my head and looked at Jug.

"I have to be sure, Jug." I said, firmly. He looked at my face for a moment and then let go. I take a deep breath and check. Finally satisfied, I sat in the chair by the bed.

"They're safe." I muttered as Jughead stared at me. I took a deep breath and nodded.

"You can't hurt them ever again." I continued as a stare at the body that housed both my father and my nightmare.  I leaned closed to his head and smirked as I felt Jughead stiffen next to me.

"I won, you asshole. Enjoy hell." I whispered. Then I stood up and walked out with Jughead staring after me.

POV Jughead

This girl is going to be the death of me. After she fell asleep, her moms and sister came in and announced that they were going to sleep in the hospital. Betty woke up and you should have heard the fit she threw. My girl is stubborn. She finally won when she gave FP the puppy eyes and he sided with her. I promised Alice out in the hall that I would stay and watch over her. I had just left for a second to get some coffee and of course, when I got back, her room was empty. I was scared to death until I rushed back out to the hall and saw her struggling to walk.