Chapter 20

POV Betty

I looked around in alarm when I realized who had pulled up. While Malachi had been nice to me, everyone else had warned me about how terrible he was. I didn't want anything to do with him. I just wanted to keep my distance from him and all the Ghoulies.

"Where are you headed to, blondie?" he asked me.

"Just heading home" I replied and he stepped closer.

"What about you?" I inquired just to be polite.

"I was headed over to the bar. Why don't you hop on and join me?" he demanded more than asked. I smiled but shook my head.

"No, thanks. I have to get home. The girls are meeting me soon." I explained and he glared.

"Oh, honey, I wasn't asking you" he began and slid even nearer to me. I backed away and he smirked.

Just as I was about to either get pissed off or panic, I heard another bike approach. He and I watched as a bike neared us and stopped. I braced myself for angry Jughead but was surprised to see an angry Sweet Pea when the helmet came off.

"Betty, get on the bike" he commanded. For a split second, I thought about arguing but stopped and walked over and got on.

"Stay away from her. If I ever see you near her or any of our people again, you will regret it." Sweet Pea said darkly. I was shocked at his tone. He handed me his helmet and we took off. He drove me straight home and stopped at the curb out front.

"You ok?" he asked as I handed him the helmet and got off the bike.

"Yeah. He just surprised me. I saw the bike and expected Jughead. Thanks for stopping" I replied and Sweet Pea grinned.

"No problem. I heard what you tried to do for Toni the other day, you're ok in my book, Cooper." he said and I smiled back.

"Do you want to come in for a drink? The girls won't be here for another half hour." I asked. He looked tempted but shook his head. I suddenly felt nervous going into the empty house alone. Our Moms were working or running errands and C, V and Kevin were probably still at Pop's.

"Please? I'm still a bit freaked out" I tried and he relented. I don't know if I pushed because I was still keyed up about Malachi or if I just wanted the chance to hang out with Sweet Pea. I really wanted to see if he was good enough for V.

"Fine but just for a few minutes. I don't need to piss off Jughead" he added and I smiled and led him inside. I got us both drinks and we sat on the couch.

"So what did Malachi want?" he asked. I shrugged.

"He was trying to get me to go to a bar with him. He said 'he wasn't asking' right before you pulled up. It was about to turn really ugly" I explained and Sweet Pea looked livid.

"He should never even talk to you. He's scum. I'll kill him" he began but I stopped him.

"It's ok. I'm ok." I soothed, confused as to why he was so upset. It must have shown on my face because Sweet Pea continued.

"I know that we just met a little while ago but you are so nice and kind. I can't stand the thought of something happening to you" he explained and I grinned.

"Thanks, Sweet Pea. That's nice of you to say" I replied and he ducked his head.

"So tell me... why are you so interested in V?" I asked and he blushed.

"She's awesome. She's nice but she doesn't take any shit, you know? Soft and strong. I like that" he reasoned and I nodded.

"Yeah. That's one of the reasons I like her too. I have to warn you, though. If you mess with her and hurt her, I'll have to come after you" I threatened. He looked at me in surprise but then nodded.

"I promise, I won't hurt her" he said sincerely. We talked for a few more minutes when his phone went off.

"Shit! I've got to go. Will you be ok until the girls and Kevin get here?" he asked with alarm.

"I'll be fine. Thanks for everything!" I replied as I walked him to the door. I waved as he got on his bike and drove off. Five minutes later, V, C and Kevin arrived and we all got to work to get ready for the dance.

POV Jughead

I was beyond annoyed. Every time I thought that Betty and I were making progress, she changed. It was so frustrating. I decided to take a break and left school as soon as the bell rang. I knew that Betty was tutoring Midge and figured that they would be hanging out until it was time to get ready for the dance, anyway. I went straight to the bar but realized that I couldn't drink since I was picking up Betty for the dance later. I wasn't driving but I didn't want to give her another reason to be mad at me.

Instead I played pool for a few hours. Having fun chatting with Toni, Fangs and some of the other gang members. Sweet Pea had detention after school so we expected to see him in a few minutes.

"Hey, boss!" one of the younger Serpents called as he walked in. I couldn't remember his name but I knew that he was freshman at Riverdale high.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Did you tell Sweet Pea to give your girl a ride?" he asked and I looked confused.

"What do you mean?" I demanded.

"We just passed him. He was turning in to her driveway" he explained.

"He was dropping her off. She was probably walking and he picked her up" I said but the kid shook his head.

"No. We slowed down to watch and he got off the bike and went in with her. It looked like no one else was home too" the kid finished and started to walk away. I grabbed his collar before he could.

"How long ago was this?" I demanded and he shrugged.

"About a half hour ago" he replied. I let him go and he hurried away. Fang and Toni looked at me, wearily.

"Boss, come on. You know Sweet Pea. He would never make a move on Betty. He wouldn't do that to you plus, he likes Veronica. He was probably just trying to get Betty to help him get in good with V" Fangs said quickly and Toni nodded.

I knew that they were right. Sweet Pea would never betray me like that but still, I was couldn't help the anger and jealousy that was rising in me.

"I'll text him and get the real story" Toni offered and I nodded. She texted him but he didn't reply. We waited for ten minutes and still, nothing. I was getting more and more angry when suddenly, Sweet Pea walked in. I launched myself at him and grabbed his shirt.

"Why were you at Betty's? Alone?" I demanded. At first Sweet Pea looked shocked then hurt and finally pissed.

"Seriously, Jug? You really don't trust me that much?" he yelled and all I could see is that he didn't answer the question. I didn't say anything and he sighed.

"You should be thanking me. If I hadn't come along when I did, who knows what Malachi would have done with her" he spat at me. Immediately I let him go.

"What do you mean, Malachi?" I demanded. He filled us in on the whole story including, Betty being nervous to be home by herself.

"Shit. I'm sorry, Sweets. I should have known better" I said and everyone looked shocked. I wasn't known for giving out apologies.

"It's ok." he mumbled but I caught the smirk he gave afterwards.

"Thanks for watching out for her" I added and he shrugged.

"I would have even if she wasn't your girl. She's nice and Malachi is evil" he explained and I nodded.

Looks like I was going to have to clarify things with Malachi.