Chapter 13: What's next?

Kari was asleep along with Davis and Jill when Tai heard a familiar voice outside. He looked up and Izzy looked up from the computer and locked eyes.

"That sounds like..." Izzy began but Tai got up before he could finish. He opened the door and headed out into the dim hallway.

"...and we drove all the way here. Now his sister is sick and he could be too but you won't let me in there!" Sora shouted at the doctor.

"Ma'am please, there's already too many people in that room..." The doctor started but Mimi cut him off.

"We aren't leaving until you let us in and if you call security and have us kicked out then we will just keep coming back, then if we get kicked out so many times we end up in jail and once we come out we will come back, we will keep coming back until you let us in that room. We will never stop trying and..."

"Doctor can you please just let them in, Mimi will never stop talking." Tai said from the doorway. Sora and Mimi turned and looked over at the boy. He looked exhausted but also amused.

"Tai..." Sora said slowly walking towards him. He didn't move just stood there as she slowly put her arms around him and hugged him. He hesitated but then returned the hug. "I'm so sorry." She cried meaning both Kari and what had happened with Mike.

"We'll talk about it later..." Tai said letting go and turning his attention towards Kari. Sora was looking at him with concern though.

"Have you gotten checked out?" She asked not hiding her worry.

Tai looked back at her. "No, don't worry about me."

"Well I am worried, Tai!" Sora said. "Please just take a little time and pry yourself away from this room to make sure you don't have the gene."

"I have to take care of my sister!"

"You have to take care of yourself!"

"What do you care?" Tai yelled back. Mimi stood there awkwardly and announced she was going into Kari's room leaving the two be.

Sora's voiced was cracked. "You cannot be serious, Tai! You know I care."

"Yeah but I'm not all that sure that I'm more important to you then your cheating ex." Tai said with hurt written all over his face.

"It was a mistake. I was confused about how I felt but I'm not anymore. Thinking that it could be you lying there dying made me realize that! It's you Tai!" Sora cried begging him to understand.

Tai just looked the other way so she wouldn't see the tears in the corner of his eyes. "I have to get back in there..." He walked away and Sora sighed and decided to just leave it at that for now.

...

Mimi walked into the room and the first thing that happened was her and Izzy staring at each other. Mimi pulled away and went to sit in a chair on the other side of the room. She tried to avoid looking at him but she could feel the weight of his stare on her. She really wished Davis and Kari's friend were awake at that moment.

"I see they're fighing." Izzy said breaking the silence as he looked back down at his computer.

Mimi looked over at the door to hear the two yelling at each other. "They'll be fine, they just need some time."