Chapter 24: Picking up the pieces

"Yeah but there...there are alot of cars like that...right?" Jill asked nervously.

"Maybe..." Matt said feeling the worry rise in him. "Plus Mimi is at the hospital with the others."

"That's right so it can't be her car!" Jill said but it sounding like she was more trying to convince herself.

"Right..." Matt said quietly but he couldn't shake the feeling that it was her car.

"Maybe we should pull over in case..."

Matt looked over at the girl and nodded in agreement. He looked around then pulled the car over away from the traffic jam.

The two were able to see a better view of the police cars from the side and both hearts were beating in fear.

"Okay well get out of the car together." Jill said as a solution. She looked over at Matt. "It will be okay, no matter what...we'll get through this."

The boy looked over and nodded slowly opening the door of the car. The two stepped out, grabbed hands, and headed over to the scene. The closer they got the slower the world seemed to move around them.

Matt felt like everything was in a daze, this couldn't be happening. They were all going through enough right now. He felt himself stop moving and looked over at the girl next to him.

"Mimi! Yolie!" Jill screamed letting go of Matt and running towards the two girls.

...

"Kari?"

The girl smiled softly a weak shine sparkling in her eyes. "I was wondering when you were going to come around."

"Your parents get first dibs on seeing you." Tk said smirking and pulling up a seat next to her. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, just tired."

"Do you want me to leave?"

"No." She told him sternly. "Have you seen Tai?"

"No but Sora has. I guess things worked out and he forgave her." Tk smiled brightly. "See things are coming around."

"Weirdly. Let's face it our lifes are strange." Kari commented.

"Yeah...but we've pushed past everything. Erin, our friends problems, this...everything." He said quietly. "Kari there's something I have to tell you..."

"What?"

"Kari...I..."

"Oh Tai's going to be so happy to hear you're awake!" A voice said excitedly through the doorway.

Tk groaned and Kari gave him a look saying 'Just wait a minute.'

"Thanks I'm glad to hear he's doing well too." Kari said smiling brightly.

"Yeah well if he stays in bed and stops trying to get up then things will continue to go well." She rolled her eyes.

"That's Tai..." Kari said rolling her eyes.