Chapter Seventeen

After hanging out with Dean for a bit, he dropped me off at my house.
Not before offering for me to stay over for the night again, of course.

I wanted to stay with Dean but I also needed to face my mother.
I'd have to eventually so why not now.

I knocked on the door three times and my mother finally answered.

"Seth..." She looked surprised to see me, "Come in."

She steps to the side and I walk into the house.

"You have a key, you know." She reminds me.

"Yeah but...I'd feel uncomfortable just walking into the house after everything that happened." I shrug.

"Uncomfortable? I'm your mom, and this is our house." She almost laughs. "Why do you feel uncomfortable?"

I shrug again silently.

She sighs and sits down on the couch in our living room.
I sit down next to her.

"I want you to feel comfortable here again, I want you to come home." She admits.

Is this my mother I'm talking to?

"Really? I thought you wouldn't want me to." I raise my eyebrow.

"Seth, I love you. These past few days made me realize that I've been a very overprotective mother over the years, I never let you breathe and have freedom." She opens up, "When I couldn't protect you long enough, I had Roman do it because he was the closest friend you had, the only friend you had and I knew I could trust him..."

"But it's not Romans' responsibility to take care of me mom. He's only the same age as me and he has his own shit to go through. " I interrupt and she nods.

I expect her to lecture me about my bad language but she doesn't.

"I know hunny, I know. I realize that now and I'm going to apologize to Roman too, soon." She says.

"Good." I sigh and our conversation falls into silence.

That's when I remembered what my mother had said about Dean.

"Mom, what did you mean about Dean when you said people like him?" I ask again and she sighs.

"Look, I don't know this Dean boy. But he looks like big trouble, he looks like Randy and his friends. I just want you to be safe." She says calmly.

It upsets me when she says that because I had accused Dean about him being just like them but now I know he's nothing like them.

"I am safe, mom. Dean is nothing like he may appear, trust me. He's sweet, caring, smart and I actually really like him." I tell her.

"Like him? Do you mean..." Her eyes widen.

"No, not in that way. As a friend." I laugh but it feels weird just calling Dean a 'friend'

But that's what he was, wasn't he?

"Thank the heavens, I thought you were catching feelings for that boy. I'm okay with you being friends with him but nothing more." She sighs in relief.

"And what if I were?" My voice raises and I can't control it, "You wouldn't accept me? You wouldn't accept our relationship? You wouldn't be happy for me?"

"Lower your voice, Seth. I would accept you, but I don't want you getting hurt." She says.

"If I got hurt, that would be on me. I have to grow, learn and make mistakes, mom." I remind her.

"I get that sweetie. But you can't blame me for wanting to protect you." She whispers and I know exactly what she's talking about.

"What, is it because I've been bullied and attacked most of my life by a few dicks? It happens, it's life. I'm fine, I've moved on. But don't worry about Dean, I know he'd never hurt me." I say and I know it's the truth.

"How can you be so sure?"

"He's saved me mom, he's protected me and he's cared for me. More than anyone else has. I trust him mom." I say honestly.

I may have not known Dean for very long, but I do trust him, and I do care about him a lot.

She sighs again and rubs my shoulder.

"Okay...as long as he doesn't hurt you." She whispers.

"He wouldn't." I say again.

She nods and pulls me into a comforting hug.