Chapter Twenty-Four

"This is way better than Miz's lame party." Dean says as he pulls up to a bridge.

"Where are we?" I get out of the car and look around.

There are lights everywhere and it's really quiet.

"I used to go here when I was a child, to get away from everything." He explains and he sits on a rock.

I sit down next to him, "It's beautiful."

"I know." He smiles.

"What did you do here?" I ask.

"Just thought about happy thoughts, try to relax myself." He replies.

I nod and continue looking around until I feel Dean's eyes on me.

"Thank you for stopping drinking when I asked you to, I didn't want to control you but it was hard for me to watch." Dean smiles appreciatively.

"You don't need to thank me Dean, it was pretty selfish of me to drink it anyway, knowing what you've gone through." I smile back.

I noticed Dean was getting cold.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm just getting a bit cold." He shivers.

Without thinking I wrap my arms around him.
He leans into my touch and lays his head on my shoulder.

"Thanks." He whispers softly.

We enjoy the comfortable silence for a few minutes, before Dean speaks again.

"Do you still have that jacket I gave you?"

"Yeah...of course. Why?" I look into his eyes.

"I just wish you wore it more." Dean shrugs, "It looked so good on you."

"So good it almost got me raped." I joke but Dean frowns. "I'm sorry...that wasn't funny."

"I swear once Randy comes back to this school—" Dean growls.

"Dean...stop. I don't want you getting into trouble again." I pull away from him.

"I—"

"No Dean, I mean it." I shake my head at him.

Dean sighs and he leans back on me, calming himself.

"If he ever tried to touch you again, I don't think I'd have a choice." Dean whispers.

"He won't try to touch me again." I say even though I'm not so sure.

Dean being protective over me made me smile but it wasn't worth him getting into serious trouble.
If no one had seen Dean beating the hell out of Randy and stopped him, only God knows how much trouble he would've been in. I don't even want to imagine it.

"I just want you to be safe." He says and I laugh softly.

"I know, I understand that. But I can take care of myself too, okay?"

"Okay." He pouts.

A question comes to mind and I somehow get the courage to ask,

"Dean...you know earlier at the party?" I start and he nods, "Why...why did you want to dance with me?"

Dean just stares at me I start to regret opening my mouth.

"I just felt like it I guess." Dean shrugs, finally answering.

"Do you dance with your other friends?" I raise my eyebrow.

"No..." He pauses, "I don't know how to explain it."

I nod and start to turn away but he continues,

"I've never danced before, but for some reason I wanted to try it today...with you." He answers and I nod.

I wanted more information but I also didn't want to annoy him with my questions.

"Why? Did it bother you?" Dean asks with a worried expression.

"No, I liked it actually. Until I felt like I couldn't breathe of course." I laugh and Dean smiles.

"Right, I'm sorry about that." He chuckles.

"Nah...it wasn't your fault."

"It was, did you see how close up I was to you?" Dean laughs at thought of it.

"I did." I continue laughing, "Why did you get so close?"

Dean stops laughing and his face turns a bright pink.

"I don't know...I didn't mean to. It just happened." He looks down and we fall into silence again.

Dean almost looked guilty and it broke my heart.

"Dean...look at me." I whisper and Dean hesitates before looking into my eyes. "There's nothing to feel guilty about."

Dean nods and smiles, I smile back.

I feel myself slowly leaning closer to him.
I don't even realize what's really happening until I see him back away from me.

"Seth, what are you doing?"

"Huh?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"I'm sorry, but I—" He trails off and I feel like an idiot.

Why would I lean in to kiss him? He's probably straight and now he's going to think I have feelings for him, when I clearly don't.

"I don't know why I did that." I force a laugh but my eyes start to water.

"Seth." Dean frowns when he looks into my eyes.

"No...I'm fine." I smile and look away from him.

I try to control my tears from falling but it doesn't work, I start to walk away but Dean grabs my wrist.

"Where are you going?"

"Home." I turn around to leave again but I remember Dean drove me here, and I won't know how to get back home on my own.

I curse under my breath.

"I can drive you if you want." Dean offers and I nod, I didn't have a choice anyway.

When Dean and I get into the car, I feel awkward.
I'm sure I've ruined our friendship now.