9

Vince wiped down the stainless steel benches, frowning at all the microscopic scratches that he knew would never disappear.

"You're done for the day man, head on home." Hakeem, his boss called to him and he nodded, tossing the cloth into the dirty washing basket, along with his apron and grabbing his bag of things from the back room, pulling out his phone to check the time. He pretended not to be bothered after not seeing anything from Oliver. There was a text from his mother, though.

How's it going?

Vince ignored it. Why would he want to remind himself that it wasn't going well? Sure he had enjoyed his conversation with Oliver the other day, but he was not sure that meant progress for them. His mate was already married with a child, what chance did he have?

Despite there being a physical bond between him and his mate due to the simple fact that that's what the spirits intended between soul mates, it almost seemed like a cruel joke how much pain Vince felt whilst Oliver still had strong feelings for his husband.

Vince had yet to see him, he knew he would eventually but he also hoped he would not. He knew he was not bad looking, but he wasn't conventionally beautiful, and he had a feeling whoever managed to help Oliver fight his natural mating bonds must be something else.

After he had collected his things, he began his walk in the night back towards small house he was renting. It was nothing special, a simple one bedroom, one bathroom red brick house part of a unit estate, but it would do for now.

He unlocked his front door and let himself in, locking it behind him before he dropped his bag on the couch. It was then that he sensed it.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up and he felt his muscles tense. Someone was in here.

Moving slowly through the dark house he walked towards the bedroom where the door was slightly ajar. He sniffed the air slightly to see if he could pick up on a wolfs scent and behold, he did, and unfortunately, it was one that was very familiar, and very, very unwelcome.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Vince snapped as he pushed open the door to see Ashton grinning and sitting on the bed.

"Aw, not excited to see me?" He cooed sarcastically, standing up and circling Ashton with a smugness like he knew he had power over him, which he did.

Years ago, after not finding his mate immediately, Vince went searching the first time and ended up in New York. His loneliness attracted Ashton, who shared the feeling.

They shared a toxic year together, but the substances Vince abused while they were together will have a hold on him forever. Ashton was not abusive towards Vince in the physical sense, but he did not discourage the addictive behaviour, he did not stop Vince from taking pills, from drinking away the feeling of being the only one alone. Maybe because he felt that way too, because the New York werewolf succumbed to drugs and alcohol just like him.

"Can't say I'm going to call the welcome party." Vince muttered, untying his curly brown hair out of its bun and massaging his temples, hoping that if his headache left, Ashton would go with it, or were they one in the same?

"Yeah look, I'm not thrilled to see you either, but we could help each other." Vince rolled his eyes at the reasoning from the male opposite him, who followed him into the kitchen as he roused through the near empty fridge for a beer.

"Want one?"

"Yes, thank you, but don't ignore me." Ashton snorted as he sat down on the stool next to the kitchen bench. "How have you been?"

"Really?" Vince drawled, standing opposite after he passed him his beer. "Fine. What are you doing here?" He returned, and watched as the tall, dark and handsome male sitting in front of him grinned boyishly.