19

"Dinner will be in about two hours so get settled, your parents won't be back until tonight. Talk to you later guys." Noah smiled as he closed the door to the bedroom Oliver and Vince were in. It was a decently sized room, with an ensuite bathroom, a large king-sized bed in the center, a small walk-in wardrobe next to the bathroom. Opposite the bed were the French-style windows and underneath sat a toddler bed Vince had requested from Noah before they arrived. For a moment after Noah shut the door, there was silence between Vince and his mate whilst Oliver set Lucy down on the bed and passed her his phone, playing her favourite show before he calmly turned to face the taller male.

Oliver, surprisingly, was calm. Yet it was the calm anger that was usually the most dangerous. He was not jealous, but the way Noah had insinuated Vince knew Ashton he assumed there had been a relationship, and offhandedly Vince had mentioned past relationships which seemed to coincide with his characteristics. Oliver knew this, but no, jealousy wasn't fueling his anger, no. It was the fact that he knew Ashton and he said nothing about it, and if he knew Ashton was in the Reign pack and what the Reign pack was renowned for doing, why did he not try and warn Oliver so he could speak to Dallas? It suddenly all made sense to Oliver. Why Dallas had come back so late that night, why he had lost so much weight, why he lost his lively glow; he was dull, he was abusing Dirat, and whilst it did not kill wolves, it was the side effects that had the true impact. The loss of appetite, the depression that turned into reliance on the drug for happiness, the bad habits that came with taking it. Dallas also was Ashton's mate, which meant maybe he was pushing it as well, maybe he was doing his dirty work for him, and that scared Oliver the most.

"How come you didn't tell me?" He asked gently, sitting on the edge of the bed, looking up at his mate. His mate who was so beautiful. So kind. So lovely. He was everything Oliver should be grateful for, and he was, but his mind was always on Dallas, even if his wolf was connected to Vince's; which would only be concrete once they performed the mating ceremony. 

"It wasn't necessary information," Vince reasoned as he moved to kneel down in front of Oliver, taking his hands. "I knew Ashton, yes, he was horrible when we dated, yes I know where he works, but I am not responsible for what he does with Dallas, and we don't even know if he is doing anything."

"Are you kidding me?" The younger male snapped, his eyes shining with tears as his heart broke for his former husband. "Dallas is nothing like he used to be! He is so lost! Ashton is controlling him like a puppet but now, it's too late for me to warn him because not only is Ashton treating him like shit, Dallas doesn't care because he doesn't have Lucy or me!"

"Well too bad for him because you're mine!" Vince raised his voice in response as he let go of Oliver's hands, standing up to walk across the room. "I am sorry for what is happening to Dallas, I really am, but it is his mate, he loves Ashton as much as I love you!" 

Oliver froze at the words that left Vince's lips, his mouth shutting as he clenched his jaw and looked away. "Vince I know this is hard for you, but you have to remember-,"

"Remember what? That I'll always be second best?" He spat bitterly, "I know you still love Dallas and that you want him to be okay, but this is out of your hands now. I'll do my best to get the Reign pack under control but I can't stop what happens between Ashton and Dallas. If Dallas is unhappy, he can leave, have you ever thought that maybe he doesn't want to?"

Oliver reached up and ran a hand through his red hair, gripping it slightly with stress as he let out a sarcastic laugh, "Trust me, he wants to. I know Dallas and there's no way he loves Ashton. No way." His voice shook slightly as he spoke the words, hugging himself as he saw Vince roll his eyes.

"Because it would be so impossible that Dallas would love anyone but you right? And so impossible that you might actually move on, and realise that I am the one for you. That I will treat you so well, and that's not to say Dallas wouldn't have but I can make you happy, Oliver," Vince promised, stepping closer to his mate, "You just have to let me."