20

The book remained on the shelf in Ashton's room for the next few days. Dallas had not had a chance to open it again, but he had not stopped thinking about it. They were flooded with work at the moment, end of year events were coming up, the parties had to be organized and Dallas was working at most of them as a Dirat distributor. He preferred when he was assigned to be the doorman but Ashton seemed to be more satisfied with his work in the other role. He never objected, nor argued, simply accepted. Tonight would be no different. He had to distribute at least three hundred grams of the drug tonight at a holiday party, as Christmas was nearing and they had quotas to meet to ensure the pack's financial stability before the Yule Fair that fell on Christmas Eve when the clubs and bars would close for a couple of days as the whole pack would travel to participate in the festivities.

Dallas had not been to a Yule Fair since before him and Oliver had adopted Lucy, they thought it would be much too awkward to continuously explain their child was human, nor did they want to face any prejudice for it, so they instead participated in a form of the human holiday Christmas. He remembered them fondly, yet a part of him was excited about it, to see what had changed. He wasn't sure if he was expected to work, as Ashton hadn't mentioned anything, but he didn't mind if he did or not, because more often than not he could a percentage of the product to keep for himself, and that definitely helped him maintain his calm, maintain a modicum of happiness despite the crushing sadness that seemed to be entrenched in him lately. 

He hadn't really tried to improve his mental health. When he was working, he was high, when he was walking around, he was either drinking or high, when he was fucking Ashton, he was high. The only time when he wasn't was when he was driving. Living wasn't really what he would call his life, at this moment in time, it wasn't really a life even; Dallas was simply existing. Existing for Lucy's sake, because if he was ever going to 'live', it would be for her. Hope for Oliver to return to his life had been completely shot after he found out they would be returning to the Zalhab packhouse and completing the mating ceremony, yet his curiousity about the exceptions intrigued him. Maybe, just maybe, if he explained it to Oliver he would have a chance. That's if they hadn't completed the ceremony. He hoped in that case, maybe they would do so on the last day of the three-day Yule Fair, as it still gave him time. 

"Baby, hurry up. We have a pack meeting and you're still sitting in a towel, not that I'm complaining." Ashton grinned menacingly as he walked into the room where Dallas had been sitting on the bed, staring at the ground for the few minutes he had alone. He lifted his head and let out a fake laugh, standing up and leaving Ashton without a response as he pulled on his favourite meeting wear, black tracksuit pants, and a black crewneck jumper. They were fairly casual about their politics here. Ashton came up beside him when he was finished and kissed his cheek, checking his watch. 

"I have to go a bit early since there are Yule Fair preparations and we need to figure out final allocations for travel. It's a pain." He groaned, squeezing Dallas's bicep as he moved towards the door. "You can come a bit late if you want. I know you've been working really hard. I left some Dirat for you in my drawer." With a wink, Ashton left the room. Dallas habitually moved towards his draw before he remembered the book on the shelf, and his heart skip a beat in nervousness. 

He quickly closed the door behind Ashton, clicking the lock as he made his way to the bookshelf and pulled out what had been haunting his thoughts for the past few days. He looked at the contents, wondering if there was a chapter that was eerily specific. Deciding on one called; the mating bond, he figured it would be a good place to start. 

It read, The creation of werewolves by our spirits D'abat, Urd and Qamer was with a purpose to ensure the care of the Earth, and the survival of Earth's nature and fauna alongside humans. To ensure the survival of our species, werewolves, when they are born, are created with a spiritual connection to another wolf, of whom they will encounter later in love and will recognize them as their mate.