24

Dallas sat in the back of a black SUV, Ashton beside him and various high-ranking pack members filling the vacant surrounding seats. In the front sat two protector wolves, all dressed in black, much like the rest of the pack, it was almost the Reign compulsory uniform; look as intimidating as possible with as little colour as possible. They were on their way to the Yule Fair which began tomorrow, travelling separately to the buses transporting everyone else, due to their importance. Another SUV contained Luke and his mate, along with his sister and Dallas's friend, Sophie. In this instance, Dallas craved her company over Ashton's, which wasn't abnormal, but was heightened by the heavy electronic music pulsing heavily throughout the vehicle's sound system, ricocheting off every ventricle of Dallas's brain. His patience was thinning.

Just hold on until tomorrow. Tomorrow you'll be back with them, back with your family.

His thoughts calmed him slightly. After having been in discussion with the Zalhab pack, hopefully everything would go according to plan. On the first day, he would meet up with Oliver early to confirm what was going on, as well as unfortunately, distribute some Dirat, before they completed the operation the second day where he would purposefully be caught with Dirat with Ashton, theatrically arrested then later discretely freed. He hoped that Oliver would have spoken to Vince before so they could break their bond, because once he had Oliver he would never let him go again. The only issue that remained was his own bond with Ashton, as he knew there was simply no way his mate would agree to it.

"I'm so excited. The amount of revenue that will come into the pack from this will be amazing," Ashton gushed after a moment of silence, "Not to mention the food. The food will be sick, especially the packs from down south. They know how to spice their food." He smacked his lips, laughing softly before he turned his gaze to face Dallas who had remained stoic, his vision focused on the moving countryside. "Are you excited for anything, babe?"

"The beer." He muttered, and he wasn't lying. Some of the best brews were to be found at the Yule Fair. It would also be an honest distraction and a way to interact with his old friends from the Dusk pack.

"What about our mating ceremony?" The other male asked, a hint of confusion infecting his words. Dallas then realised it would be in his best interest to feign some interest in order to maintain the facade that he had no involvement in the upcoming Elder council's apprehension of the criminal minds in Zalhab.

"Yeah. That too." He added, forcing a small smile as he reached out and rested a hand on Ashton's thigh. "What about you?"

"Been waiting since the day I took you from that dead end town." He drawled with a mean grin, leaning over and capturing Dallas's lips in a hungry kiss, despite the other members of the packs awkward averting glances.

"My town wasn't dead end." He scoffed as he pulled away, pretending that him biting his lips wasn't to distract them from the feeling of touching Ashton's as he opened his phone, seeing no messages from Oliver, he sighed and put it away.

"Um, yes it was. But hey, at least Oliver's happy there with Vince."

"Yeah."

"And Lily!"

"Lucy?" Dallas corrected, his tone sharper. It didn't sit well with him that his own mate couldn't even remember his daughters name.

Ashton let out a nonchalant laugh. "Sorry, I'm not great with names. Do you think they'll come to the fair

Absolutely. To see your position and hopefully, your whole pack fall.

"Not sure, haven't spoken much lately." Dallas chose to reply instead and looked down at his phone when it beeped. His heart lurched with fear that a text would appear from Oliver whilst Ashton's attention was on him, but smirked when Sophie's name appeared instead.