12

(Trigger warning: Drug use.)

Vince did not expect the knock on his door later that night, nor did he expect to open it and see Oliver standing there, Lucy asleep in his arms, a bag slung over his other arm.

What was going on?

Hope burst in his chest. Dallas and Oliver. Something happened to them. Something worked. This meant Vince could pull back on other discussions with Ashton, there was no need to go further. Everything was set in motion. Fate had intervened.

He didn't want to get ahead of himself. He didn't want to have his hope crushed in the next few minutes, God forbid Oliver just needed a last minute babysitter.

"Oliver," Vince greeted warmly, his face expressing surprise, opening the door more and waving the smaller male and his daughter in. "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but what are you doing here so late?"

So late meant approximately ten thirty. Vince liked an early bed time, sue him, he was working long hours at this job trying to cover rent whilst he won Oliver over. He watched said male sigh as his face shone with humiliation as he sat Lucy down on the couch. Vince took initiative to find a blanket to lay over the toddler, tucking her in before he listened to Oliver ramble.

"I-I am so sorry Vince. I didn't intend to come here so late but I just didn't know where to go and all I could think of was you and I just needed to get away from Dallas-," Oliver physically choked up after saying his husbands name and Vince pushed his long hair out of his face as he rushed towards the younger male, pulling him into a hug.

"Shh, you don't need to explain yourself." He said gently, trying to not relish too much in the feeling of Oliver in his arms. He would try his best not to abuse this privilege of having him in home, and Oliver being in a rough spot with Dallas. He did not want to be a rebound but also, he wanted to be anything he could be to Oliver that was more than a friend.

"I want to." The other male hugged Vince back tightly, and he felt no ounce of guilt doing so. The fight with Dallas had escalated to the point  where he needed, for the first time in his life, space from his husband. It may have just been a kiss, and perhaps any normal marriage could work through it. But when it's a kiss from a spiritually assigned soul mate, and  then a lie is told, and there's a child involved when there was an understanding they would work through this very carefully, it made the situation a lot more than just a kiss.

"He kissed Ashton." Oliver said as he pulled away, Vince watched the agony on his face as the other male said it out loud to himself, swallowing hard and then following Vince to the small kitchen as he was given a glass of water. "I know it's his mate- I know that, but we have our daughter! I know, I know he loves her so much and I don't think he's a bad dad but how could he just do that? I've resisted kissing you and I know that was hard for me but I did for him and for my family!" Oliver's voice cracked as he wiped his eyes, tears falling freely now.

Vince fought hard at the urge to smother Oliver with affection and reassurance. He wanted to be careful. People who were experiencing relationship problems prematurely sought comfort from others. He did not want any exchange between them to be artificial. To be just temporary until Oliver went back to his husband. The pain of that thought almost broke Vince then and there. He had him now. He would not let him go. He would need to make Oliver think it's his idea to stay. He would need to make it seem there is no better choice.

"Of course," Vince agreed, frowning in understanding. "Maybe he was caught up in the moment. What's happening right now is difficult for all of you, but you're right, as a father it was not his best move." He tried not to let himself go on a tangent. He could write a list about things he disliked about Dallas. Number one, he's Oliver's husband, number two, he's had sex with Oliver, number three, he had a child with Oliver... so on and so forth.