Prologue

"Hah~" I yawned quietly to myself. It was chilly out, freezing in fact, the snow fell softly from the sky and onto my kimono. Yes, I get it, wearing a kimono in the middle of winter I'm asking to be cold but not the point. I was out walking in the snow carrying my little sister, Kaoru, on my back hoping she'd fall asleep. Guessing by the small baby snores coming from behind me, she was.

Honestly listening to her sleep started to make me drowsy and sluggish. I peeked over my shoulder to look at her peaceful tiny face, her little hands gripping my kimono as she turned her head, rubbing her fat cheeks against the cotton fabric on my shoulder. Her face blossoming with pink from the nipping cold air. I could feel her tiny feet curled up and lightly digging into my back while the scarf I was using cradled her warmly. 

I turned back to face forward and looked at the large snowy mountain in front of me. Tall and with a presence demanding to be respected by all and to be admired by all. Snow falling onto its peaking, slowly covering it like a think blanket of a glittery white. The mountain with a shrine at the top, the shrine my family was in charge of taking care of. The shrine was surrounded in wisteria blessed by a goddess so they were always in bloom. 

The shrine, called the demon shrine, unlike its name housed demon slayer passing through the village. The shrine let them sleep in peace without a worry of a demon creeping in. 

I've met so many different demon hunters in my days. Ever since I could remember! Even one of the demon pillars stayed a few nights. The famous Rengoku's!

I sighed out frustrated by my legs, they started to shake from fatigue the temperature and the steep incline of the mountain were starting to get to me at an alarming rate. My fingertips were starting to change from their bright pink into a deep icy blue. My feet were wet and cold from the snow, my 'thick' socks not being able to hold against the wet slushy snow, not to mention my poor excuse for shoes, small little getas. I exhaled when I saw the large red and gold decorated shrine. The warm glow of fire and heat pouring from the thick spruce doors when I walked in I could feel the ice melt of my s/c skin and the feeling slowly come back into my toes and fingers.

I unwrapped Kaoru from my shoulders and held her snuggly in my arms carrying her through the halls into my parents' room and placed her in a small bundle of blankets and took my leave. I took off my socks as I walked through the halls and putting them with my siblings' laundry.

"Y/nnnnnnnnn!" I turned my head to look over my shoulder as I was bent over putting the dirty clothes in a pile while Seika and Shijo came tumbling around the corner. Seika holding bubbly tears in her eyes, her lips quivering and her face red while Shijo's eyebrows were furrowed and face also red. "Shijo took my doll!" Seika cried. "Did not! She's lying!" Shijo yelled back. Seika continued to cry hugging onto me like I was her only life source and Shijo stuttered and mumbled trying to find an excuse. 

"Shijo..." I warned, "Give it back." I said sternly. Shijo didn't budge so I pushed further. "Shijo... how would you like to tend to the cattle outside?" He shook his head quickly. "Then give the doll back to your sister." He threw the doll at me and Seika and ran off. Seika picked it up and went after him giggling. I shook my head and sighed continuing with the laundry.

"The twins are at it again huh?" My older brother said walking into the room.

"Mmm Hmm, next time you will get to deal with them Daiki. You're the eldest sibling are you not?" I asked softly tossing the pile of dirty clothes into a tub of steaming water and began to scrub them against of board with rivets in the metal.

"Ahhhh... I'm going to take a pass on that. But! Thank you for your so very generous offer," He sweatdropped laughing nervously. "But that's not why I came to talk to you." He suddenly got serious and caused me to stop my washing and look up at him worriedly. He sat down next to me and looked out the open sliding door, out into the snowy forest, the slight purple showing through from the wisteria surrounding the area. "The wisterias are dying," My eyes widened. How was that even possible? They've been around for thousands of years and have the goddess blessing. "They'll be dead by midnight. It's shocking how fast their dying honestly. Father called a Shinshoku to visit us tomorrow morning. Father also said we should sleep in their room tonight to protect each other encase of an unwelcome visitor."