▲Stains▲

I hope everyone is doing okay! No one is sick right! All ya'll Gucci? WASH YUR HANDS! And read this chapter and don't die... and don't horde toilet paper. :) Love you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched Kyojuro's retreating form disappear to the front of the train to go catch up with Tanjiro. I stared in the direction he went, not particularly anything, just... staring. My mind was running through everything that has happened, making sure I was up to date. Stress wanting to creep its way into my system. 

Kyojuro left me in charge of one of the train cars and Kadzuki with another. I felt her put her hand on my shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze before I heard her distancing footsteps. Of course, I'm stressed! I've been put in charge of some people's lives! This is what I signed up for, right? No hesitating now. I'm glad they are starting to trusting me... slowly, one by one.

And... I'm not panicking.

It was a new feeling... I was stressed, sure, anyone would be. But, I don't feel scared to the point I can't move. I'm not scared enough for my mind to be foggy. In fact, I can think perfectly clear right now. My mind is running fast, preparing all sorts of outcomes and how I can handle them. I wasn't shaking, my knees were loose and sturdy. I wasn't burning up, nor was I starting a cold sweat.

I was shaken from my thoughts when my train car rumbled, almost knocking me off my feet. I backed up a few steps to regain my lost balance. (My bank account rn:') I saw the wooden walls start to bend and contort inwards and outwards as fleshy pink and grey colored limbs wedged themselves in between the wooden boards. The awful loud pitch squeaking of the boards breaking, made me wince slightly. 

I saw the fleshy tentacle-like things start to wrap themselves around the unbeknownst civilians whilst trying to consume them. I quickly jumped in, putting my new ability to the real test. Touching my hand to the gelatin-like flesh, frost instantly started to crawl over the limb, slowing its movements, but not stopping it. "Damn... of course that didn't work..." I mumbled under my breath. 

***

"Hey! Remember! Keep your arm strong and your hand stiff!" I heard father yell at me from across the room. He stared me down as I was squatted down in a fighting position.

I was 7 at the time. 

Father wanted me and Daiki to better protect ourselves after the incident that happened last week. A pick pocketer got the best of me and Daiki. And tried to run off with me along with our couple coins of money. Daiki had to fight hard to get the man to run off. Almost got himself killed if a guard hadn't found us in time. He was battered and bruised badly.

My father dashed toward me his fist drawn back like he was getting ready to attack. I squealed and backed away quickly. Tripping on the rug behind me and fell. Causing my father to bring down his fist and rush over to me quicker. "Oh, baby! I wasn't going to actually hurt you!" Now that I think about it, he probably wasn't running at me that fast and his fist was obviously loose. But I digress. "Here." He grabbed my hand and hung his low to reveal the back of his neck. "Remember what I taught you and hit me on my neck."

I whimpered and shook my head. "Nooooo, daddy! I don't want to hurt you!" He laughed and shook his head. His shoulder bouncing in unison with his voice.

"Oh beautiful, you won't hurt me. It's okay. Go ahead now, try it." He spoke softly. Placing my hand on the back of his neck. 

I nodded hesitantly and stood up. I bent my arm at the elbow and stiffened my hand just as he told me. I kept my stance frim and exhaled shakingly and I swung my arm down as fast as I could.