⋙ Chapter One

Why would you speak to me that way?
Especially when I always said that I
Haven't got the words for you
All your diction dripping with disdain

Oxford Comma ~ Vampire Weekend

Troye

"I'm calling bullshit on this one."

A cold breeze swept over us, as if giving a final farewell as we entered the hell that lay before us. We were all dragging our feet through the school doors after what seemed like a blissful eternity. People casted elemental spells in their last moments of freedom, praying that by some miracle they didn't have to endure what lurked ahead. Laughter and hope died at the door.

Unfortunately for Caspar, our questions didn't.

"What did you actually do for two weeks?" I asked him, watching him twitch uncomfortably. During the summer none of us - us being me, Hannah and Alfie - could contact him for a while. It was odd, considering he was always on his phone. Even as we walked down the dilapidated corridors, he had his phone passing from hand to hand. Sparks appeared at his fingertips occasionally as he threw it. I could tell he was getting annoyed.

"Nothing important," he said.

"Okay, maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Who were you doing over the two weeks?"

"Not funny Troye," he snapped as Hannah and Alfie burst into a fit of laughter. He growled at them to cut it off but that only resulted in Alfie saying "Maybe it was Joe. Wait no, it was definitely Joe. Look at his face!"

"How did things go with Zoe then, hmm?" He retorted. "Did she finally catch you staring at her from across the road?"

I gave short laugh. "Puh-lease! If she had, Alfie would've been talking about it non-stop."

All of a sudden the spotlight shone down on me. Like a pack of wolves they turned, smiling maliciously

"Tell us about your holiday romance then, Troye."

"Yeah," jeered Alfie.

"Come on, you know nothing happened. I spent most of it on Tumblr and the rest of it eating. What kind of internet kid do you take me for? I'm not remotely interested in anyone, other than Frank Ocean."

"Not for much longer," Hannah piped up. My eyebrow shot up. What did Frank do? "I saw a total hottie earlier, right up your saucy street."

"Wait, really? What'd he look like?" I took a sip of tea from my cardboard cup to hide my curious smile.

"Well, he had black glasses, so he might be a hipster like you," I rolled my eyes at her but she continued regardless. "...Beautiful greeny-blue eyes, maybe.... Kinda short, but muscular. Oh and his hair! It was turquoise, in a quiff-"

"Hannah, that sounds an awful lot like Tyler."

I spat out my tea. Alfie cackled as it dripped down my chin. I wiped it off with the back of my hand, my mouth falling wide open. How could Hannah even think that I could ever be with him?

Hannah seemed unfazed by my reactions. "He got hot over the summer."

"I will never find Tyler Oakley hot."

"Never?"

"Never."

Hannah shrugged. "Your loss."

And with that they left me, alone outside the chemistry classroom, heading towards politics. We'd all got our timetables early, checked frantically to see if we shared any lessons, just to discover I was alone for most - not that minded. I actually planned on doing well this year. Although I loved them, they were distracting.