Chapter 25

Jack opened his compass. But to his fright, he realized that it was not pointing towards the core of the ocean, but towards a person. A person that was more important to him than the jewels, the core of the ocean or something else. More precisely, this person was the most important thing for him, because his compass only points at the most important things in life.
It pointed at Angelica.
First he looked at her, then at the compass. But when he looked up again, he couldn't find her anymore.
Quickly he watched out for her, until he heard her voice right behind him. "What does the compass say?" she asked, but then she saw that the compass was pointing at her.
Immediately Jack closed it, hoping Angelica didn't noticed, but she did.
"Jack?" she asked in unbelief.
"I know!" he got louder. Jack knew, that Angelica knew what his compass showed.
"I'm sorry... I've never talked to you." Angelica was wondering about his tone.
Jack had tried to avoid this situation, because everyone knew that his compass never lied. But now it happened.
He was unsure if he should tell her how he felt, or if not. She had told him not long ago that she was done with this topic. But maybe he would lose more than he had already lost if he didn't tell her now...
Angelica was about to leave.
"Wait..." he said quickly.
"What?" Angelica turned around.
"Come back..." Jack sighed. "I want to explain this to you..."
"You don't have to explain me anything, Jack." Angelica laughed.
"I-I know these thoughts aren't right... But a part of me misses you." he stammered.
Angelica paused.
She couldn't believe to hear something like that coming out of Jack's mouth.
"W-Why are these thoughts not right?" she asked a bit nervous.
"Because you finished with that." Jack answered.
Angelica sighed. "Jack...-"
"No, I understand." he interrupted her. "It's just because... I always act like I don't care, but the truth is... it hurts."
Angelica wasn't sure if she was dreaming. Jack told her that he had feelings for her. That couldn't be real, it made her happy, but that was something she didn't expect at all.
"Jack..." Angelica started again. "I don't have finished with that..." she whispered.
"What?"
"I-I just said that, because I thought you've finished with it..."
"Why did you think that?"
"Because you told me that I should forget everything we've ever done or spoken... and I think that's reason enough to think that." Angelica responded.
"So... you didn't finished?" Jack asked again. He wasn't sure if he got it all right.
"No..." Angelica looked at the ground. "But it would be better if I had, like you said.
"W-Why?" First Jack was happy to hear that Angelica didn't finish with all, but now he wasn't that sure anymore.
"Because it wasn't easy for me, and for you neither. I think this isn't healthy for both of us..."
"Angelica... I just told you that I have feelings for you , you did the same and now you tell me that it wouldn't be a good for us to-"
"I like you more than I should Jack! It is hard enough to do this, please don't make it harder!" Angelica shouted.
"But I don't understand it! You are very important to me Angelica! And you know that it's a very big step for me to tell you that!" Jack shouted.
"We could have been so much more if we hadn't lost sight of each other..." he mumbled.
"That wasn't my decision!"
"Do you want to tell me that it's only my fault?!" Jack got louder.
"No I don't. But you made promises you never held, we were arguing all the time, just like now... it was predictable, but that doesn't make it less painful." Angelica had to fight against her tears.
"Yes we are arguing very much, but just because we care for each other!" Jack seemed really serious.
"It is how it is... one forgets..." she pointed at Jack. "The other one misses..." she pointed at herself.
"What are you talking about?!" Jack was confused. "I told you this isn't true and I care about you and about us, you have to listen to me, Angelica! That you understand it... there is only you in my life!" Jack opened his compass again and it pointed at Angelica, without doubt.
Angelica first looked at it, then she turned her head away. Down her cheek rolled a few tears.
"There are so many other women..." she mumbled.
"Yes, but what should I do with them, if I want you?"
Angelica didn't know what to answer.
"You have to understand that I'm scared... it happened so much and I don't what that to happen again..." she explained.
"It won't happen again." Jack seemed really honest to her. She was so sorry but she feared too much. This was what pained her.
"It's not that I don't want it..."
"But?"
"I can't... you have to understand that." Angelica looked at Jack and Jack looked at her. "There are so many thoughts in my head, I can't see through anymore."
Now Jack saw that she really suffered.
"If we love each other, why are we hurting each other?" he asked quietly.
Angelica looked to the ground and shrugged.
"You can't tell me that you don't feel anything anymore..." Jack said.
"Jack... again! I told you many times that I feel something, but why don't you understand that I can't do this anymore? I just can't... And you should try to finish with it too. Even if it's not easy. I never said that it is easy for me!"
"But I have hope! I feel so free now that you know how I feel!"
Angelica was surprised about him.
"I had hope for so long. But unfortunately I think it doesn't make sense anymore..." she said.
"I will only stop loving you if you look me in the eye and say 'give up'! Come on! Look me in the eye and say it! Say it!" Jack shouted.
Angelica didn't say a word, there were just more and more tears rolling down her cheeks. "That's not fair..." she whispered very quietly.
Jack calmed himself again. "You can't." he said.
"And do you know why you can't? ...Because you know that there are still feelings."
"Time passed by... there won't be an 'us' anymore... try to understand that..." Angelica said with a broken voice.
"Angelica! I can't! And I don't want to!" Jack shouted.
For a moment was everything quiet. They didn't speak a word. Angelica tried to calm herself and stop crying. Jack took a deep breath of air.
"What is this between us now?" he asked carefully.
"Between us will always be something, but probably we won't ever be something..." Angelica answered.
Jack sighed.
"I'm sorry..." she whispered and went downstairs. While walking she started crying again and even if she tried to not, it didn't work.
Jack couldn't move. He just stood there with his compass in his hand. He looked at it, and all he saw was the compass needle which was following Angelica wherever she was going...

———————————
A bit sad😭,I hope you liked it anyway...
What do you think about Jack telling his feelings now?
He waited really long, right?😂