Chapter 1

Chapter 1

They say it takes a village to raise a child, which is kind of true. All it means is that it takes more people than just the immediate family to raise the child. It takes teachers, peers and even strangers to teach them right from wrong. For Brooke Reid, it took a whole police force.

From the moment she was born she had a larger family than most. She had no biological aunts or uncles but she was not without family. Her parents, well loved in the police force, had entrusted their only daughter to the force. When they were on duty, one of the off duty officers babysat her, fed her, read to her and tucked her into bed.

She had over thirty aunts and uncles, not by blood, but by love. They helped her with her homework, they took her on days out, even holidays. She loved every single one of them, and they loved her back. Her parents spent as much time with her as they could, and she adored them. She had a happy childhood. As she grew older she was allowed in the police station. A tall building tucked away among the others in London but identical to those around it. Unless you knew about it, you'd never be able to spot it from the others.

They cleared one of the old offices out for her to play in and set up her own little area. But she was allowed anywhere she wanted to go in the building. Sitting on the laps of her aunts or uncles while they worked, watching whatever they were doing. Schooling was set up in the building. There had been discussions about sending her to a public school, but her parents couldn't guarantee that they could be there when school ended. So to make it easier she was educated in the station. Brooke loved to learn, everything and anything. She had had a good memory for numbers and maths was her strong point.

In a private gym at the station, she had a coach that worked with her to keep her active and fit. Her coach started with basic hand-eye coordination and built the way up. She loved the climbing frame that was installed, and even when she wasn't scheduled in, she spent a lot of time there playing games with herself.

Although she didn't meet too many kids her own age, she didn't feel like she was missing out. She was happy and carefree. Her days full of learning and fun. For her this was normal and she wouldn't change it for the world. As she grew older she was allowed to look at evidence on cases, working as a second pair of eyes. She knew the sort of things to look out for, and although she wasn't completely sure it was allowed, no one ever said anything.

She greeted her parents when they came back from their jobs and most nights they went home as a family. Happy, chatty and safe.