Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Brooke! You're the only student so don't think I don't know when you aren't paying attention."

She muttered her apologies and rubbed her eyes. The morning had been long, she had overslept and her dad yelling that they had to go was the only thing that woke her. She got ready as quick as she could, forcing her hair into a ponytail instead of brushing it and throwing on any clothes she could find.

In class she sat and took notes when she remembered and watched her teacher as she went through algebra. Normally she would be up for lessons, but the late start to her day had thrown her off track.

"Okay, let's stop there. You're not feeling it, I know that look. Let's just go through the homework then you're done. But we'll have to catch up tomorrow."

She nodded and reached into her bag. She flicked through the books and then again and again.

"No no no no no. Seriously? I think I've left it on my desk. I'm sorry."

"You've forgotten the homework?"

"Yes." she sighed and sat back in her seat before sitting forward again. "But I think I remember the answers."

"Yeah?"

"A. X=3, B. X=5, C. X=15, D. X=3, E. X=1.5, F. X=2, G. X=8, and H. X= -9."

"Your memory amazes me every day." She looked at the paper in front of her and smiled. "All correct. But I want to see the homework tomorrow, I need to check your working out. Go on then, I'll see you tomorrow."

Brooke smiled and packed away her things and left the room. As she walked down the long corridor, officers passed her and waved. This place was built like a maze, which was fun to explore as a child. Now she knew every way in and out of the building and she could walk around here with her eyes closed, if there were no people in the corridors anyways.

She headed out into the main case room. Noise filled the room. Officers were chatting, papers being passed around, the sound of keys on a computer filled the air. The office smelled of coffee and stale air, but it was a pleasant kind of smell, to her at least.

She greeted those she passed and walked towards the centre table. This is where all the main cases were taken.

"Hey Roger, what's happening today?"

"Oh hey, not a lot currently. Your parents are on the job checking out a place. But we expect it to go smoothly so there's not a lot to do but wait. How was the class? You're out early."

"Couldn't focus today."

"What's up? Anxious? Excited? Teenage rebellion?" He smiled at the last one.

"Just tired, I overslept this morning."

"Oh we all do that, why not catch up and have a short rest in the break room? No one will mind."

"That's a great idea Roger, thanks."

The classroom would be empty in a few hours once her teacher finished sorting out the lessons for tomorrow, so she could wait and nap on the floor. But she wasn't sure she could hold out that long. A yawn overtook her and she walked slowly to the break room.

The break room was actually two rooms. One with seats, vending machines, a pool table and a games console where officers came to relax for a moment before heading back to their desks or field work. The other was a long dim room full of beds. Most of the detectives worked long shifts and if a case was particularly difficult or urgent, they wouldn't leave for days. So the management installed this room, allowing detectives and officers to rest for however long they needed it. You could set an alarm on the pillow, so it would vibrate and wake you.