Chapter 8

Chapter 8

She had her outfit. Not that it mattered. She was pretty sure she could turn up in PJs and no one would bat an eye. They'd say she was just the grieving daughter.

She pulled on her black dress. It was simple with thick black straps and a straight neckline that rested just above her breast. The top half was shaped to her body but the bottom flowed freely and rested on her knees. She had picked it up with Phillips at a local shop as she had grown a lot since she had last worn her dress that she saved for special occasions. She needed something else, plus her shoes didn't fit well either. Phillips didn't seem to mind that it was at short notice.

But now she was doubting her choice. It was the day of the funeral and it just didn't feel right. Nothing did. Not anymore.

She was allowed to wear her new black boots inside for today because they hadn't been worn outside yet. They had a thick sole that made her an inch or so taller. It also meant they would be great for winter. She had bought new purple laces that she would swap after the funeral for the black ones the boots came with.

She looked at her bare shoulders and felt something was missing. She was already wearing a necklace that belonged to her mother because her neck looked empty. She walked over to her wardrobe and pulled out her dad's jacket. At least it was black. It didn't fit the outfit very well, but she didn't care. She had a part of both of them with her and that's what she needed today.

She moved over to her top drawer and pulled out some make-up. She never wore a lot of it, she couldn't be bothered. She mosturised her face and neck and waited for it to soak in a bit. She drew on a bit of eyeliner and added a layer of mascara to her eyes. She didn't expect it to stay on all day, but it would make her feel less like a zombie.

She added a little bit of purple to her lips. It was a colour her mum picked out, she loved it but never felt like she had a chance to wear it. Her mum would smile if she saw her with it on. She wished she had worn it more when she was alive.

She walked away from the mirror. Every time she looked in it too long, she started to see her parents in her face, staring back at her. What would they say to her now?

She sat down on the bed. She had to stop thinking like that. She had to stop with the what ifs. She promised herself that she will stop in the future, when her heart wasn't so heavy. She didn't think it would ever go away, but it would lighten. She would be able to look back on the time she spent with her parents with happiness. Instead of longing.

There was a knock on the door. She called for them to come in. The door opened slowly and Phillips stood in the doorway dressed in a completely black suit.

"You ready?"

"I don't think I'll ever be ready." She replied truthfully.

"We don't have to go. Or we can go later."

"No, I think if I don't do this now, I won't do it at all."

"Well Rogers is meeting us there. He was going to come to the house, but I told him we'll meet him there earlier. Save him driving all this way."

"That's fair."

Phillips held out his arm and smiled warmly to Brooke. "Shall we go?"

Brooke walked over and gently hooked her arm through his.

The car ride was silent as always, but she preferred it that way. She remembered some of the best times she had with her family. How much fun they had on holidays, random days out and general talks. She didn't think she'd be saying goodbye so soon. She should have had so many more years with them.