𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎 »

❝♛❞

ASPEN KINGSLEY ran fast. Oh, how she wished she had the powers of Central City's local hero, the Flash. She definitely needed it right now. The drunk guy that had approached them in the park wanting the swings? That guy? Yeah, he got drunk again while Aspen and Penny were getting the mail together at the congregation of mailboxes down the street, a few blocks from the park where the drunk man first showed up.

So when they were walking to the congregation of mailboxes, Penny pointed out the man who had a whole big bottle of rum in his hand and was staring directly at them. The man started to stumble towards them when Aspen and Penny tried to quickly walk out of there. Then he kinda chased them away from the direction of Lucy's house and to the waterfront where they are currently running hard next to the manmade river as the man shouted at them.

Penny had tears in her eyes as the shouting grew louder and Aspen cursed softly for not trying hard in gym class. Panting hard, Aspen pulled Penny's arm down an alleyway. A good thing about this situation is that this was near where Aspen and Peter lived so Aspen knew this street layout like the back of her hand.

They both kept running, right now between one of the barbed wires of the shut-down S.T.A.R Labs and the street that led right into a square. Full of people and a place where the man wouldn't even think about trying anything. It was the busiest place Aspen could think of around here.

They came to a stop with quick a lot of distance between the two parties.

"Oh, crap," Aspen breathed out. She set her hands on her knees as she glared at the barrier. It was a street barrier because they were doing construction. Something Aspen didn't realize happened within her time at Lucy's.

"What are we going to do?" Penny asked desperately as she saw the man's silhouette grow bigger with the distance.

Aspen looked around frantically, finally, her eye caught a break in the barbed wire. Just big enough for Penny and Aspen, the man would have to spend time on pushing the barbed wire further if he was determined enough. And hopefully, he wouldn't be.

Aspen pointed to the break, "There!" They both ran over, Penny going first through the wire and Aspen following. They started running into the building when they heard the man shout even louder. He was obviously getting angry about the longevity of the chase. He threw the empty rum bottle at them, it only hitting the fence thank god.

Penny screamed as it broke upon impact, glass shards hitting the ground and stray droplets spilling everywhere. The man ran up to the barbed wire and started trying to pry the wire back enough to fit through. Although, the wire seemed pretty tough and stubborn the man didn't quit trying and it was obvious that it would only take minutes and then he would be back on the chase.

Aspen grabbed Penny's arm, taking her attention away from the determined drunk man and pulling her (attention and body) towards the closest door at the building.

Once they were inside, Penny resisted Aspen's pull.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Penny asked, her tone frantic, "We're running away from a drunk man and we are now trespassing on private property." Her eyes watered.

Aspen shrugged solemnly, "I don't know, okay. I guess we hideout, maybe try to find a phone and see if we can't contact Lucy,"

Penny nodded and looked to the ground, "What if we used our powers?" She questioned with a solution, quietly. Lucy always said to never use their powers. Not on each other and not on other people. Especially ever since she sat them down and told them about a meta-human prison. She never told them where, but just said to stay hidden. And away from S.T.A.R Labs since it was abandoned and probably had a bunch of radiation and chemical problems that she did not want them to be affected by.

Aspen shook her head, "No, we can't. You know what Lucy would say, and plus, you don't have complete control over yours, not when yours are super connected to your emotions. And we can't like, kill him so if we did then he would go blabbing about them and we would get sent away. Either way, our powers wouldn't pass as accidents. Like a freak storm coming down or ice and water hitting him in the face?"

Penny nodded in agreement, "Okay, let's go try and find a phone,"

They wandered around the ground floor as they tried to find a phone, everything is completely barren except for papers that were littering the floor. Penny and Aspen met back up at the elevator.

"Clear," Aspen informed. Penny looked at her confused and Aspen shrugged, "What? That's what they say on TV,"

Penny changed the subject, "Okay, so I guess we go up?" She asked pointing at the clearly working elevator. Aspen nodded and they filed into the elevator.

"Okay," Aspen started, "If he's still following us, he'll think we went up floor by floor, so we need to be smarter," Aspen picked a random floor which they started to head up to.

"Aspen?" Penny asked while looking down at her hands, Aspen turned her attention away from daydreaming her plans and to Penny who looked over to her with worried eyes. Mist and fog were coming out of her hands.

Tears were pricking in her eyes, "I can't control it," She said while wheezing hysterically. The bell dinged, signaling their arrival to the floor they needed to be on.

Except, instead of emptiness and hopefully a phone in view, there was a man in a red suit. The Flash. Uh oh.

Penny looked up, frightened and instinctively shot fog and mist out of her hand with some frozen raindrops trying to protect herself. Aspen's eyes widened as she shot out her own hands, to try and control the mist and vaporized water away from the man. She brought the water and ice down the hallway to their right, saving the man in the red suit. At least, if he had stayed put, but he dashed out of the way of the target zone.

Penny started crying as more mist flowed from her hands to the floor. The Flash rushed over into the still open elevator and gently grabbed Penny's hands. He then used one of his hands to peel off the face mask, showing that it was Barry. The mist slowly lessened and then it disappeared.

"Barry?" Penny asked through teary eyes. Barry nodded and calmed the girl down as Aspen guffawed at Barry. She was a big fan of the Flash and had heard all about Barry from Lucy, Penny, and Genevieve.

Barry looked up from a calming Penny against his chest and looked to Aspen, "You must be Aspen. You guys are meta-humans,"

Aspen looked at him, her face mixed with worry and confusion, "Has Lucy not told you about the family?"

Now it was Barry's turn to guffaw as Aspen slipped up, "Your whole family is metas? Lucy too?"

Penny looked at Aspen worriedly as she nervously laughed. It seemed her heart was bigger than her head and her mouth was bigger than her heart. Lucy was gonna kill her for this.

Aspen watched as the elevator closed and started to go down, leaving her to explain this. She looked at Barry as he let go of Penny and sighed, standing there patiently with the elevator music playing overhead.

Aspen looked at him innocently, "Don't tell Lucy?"

The sound that came out of Barry's mouth next was between a scoff and a chuckle, "I won't be telling Lucy," The tension visibly left Aspen.

"You will be telling Lucy,"

❝♛❞

Okay. Boom. Bam. How'd you like them apples? The next chapter will be all about confrontation so it will be a bit longer. Uh, the next update (if you haven't seen my latest conversation) will be on Wednesday, but after that, it will be a normal schedule so far planned. Your goal from me is to reach 10K reads for updates in the summer, as I only plan for freedom to be updated during that time. Be sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter!

!Also be sure to leave questions for a Q&A chapter after the entire first season is published!

❝♛❞