𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 »

❝♛❞

LUCY RATHAWAY sat at her computer wanting to bang her head against the table. No, just because she got a business degree did not mean she enjoyed going through her monthly net sales and putting everything together to ready for opening up another shop. She was seriously rethinking the expansion and the last thing Lucy wanted to go to sleep to, was numbers and percentages and more numbers.

All the kids had already gone to bed or at least were in their bedrooms which was good enough these days, and Lucy finally had some downtime which she thought she would spend on getting ahead of the expansion paperwork so she would be ready when the time came. But Lucy had gotten two paragraphs into the instructions from her lawyer before she blanked and that business degree flew out of her head.

Thankfully, a knock interrupted Lucy's numeric torture and she stood up from the dining room table and walked to the door.

Lucy opened the door, "Hey, Barry!" She greeted as she spotted the tall, lanky, brown-haired man who was pacing outside her door. When she looked closely, she could see tears running down his face.

"Barry?" She asked, concerned. He didn't even take a glance at her direction and was still pacing back and forth with his hands hiding any emotion that may show up on his face. Lucy looked at his feet and saw that he's feet were slightly smoking due to him scuffing and dragging his feet at not entirely normal human speeds.

Lucy stepped outside and stopped right in front of Barry's pacing path, making him look at her and stopping his pace which was wearing down the wooden porch. Lucy reached her hand up to Barry's face which was pointed at his feet and she tilted his head up by his chin.

Lucy wiped away the falling tears and caressed Barry's wet cheeks and that's when Barry's eyes met hers and Lucy could feel her heart crack. Lucy always believed the saying, the eyes are the windows to the soul, and Barry's eyes showed deep grief and regret.

A similar look Lucy saw in herself when Lucy decided to stay home for her first year of college and had to continue to see the scream wars between her parents and Hartley.

"Do you wanna talk?" Lucy offered as Barry just stared into her eyes and nodded slightly. Lucy brought and led Barry inside the open door and sat him down at the dining table she once occupied. With Barry still staring out to space, Lucy closed the front door, closed her computer screen showing spreadsheets upon spreadsheets, and moved the papers and her computer to the other end of the wooden table to make room for Barry.

Lucy moved around the room and grabbed a box of tissues and placed it near Barry and as Lucy moved towards the stove where she had put a kettle boiling for bedtime time, she saw his hand wobbly move out and grab a tissue. Lucy filled two cups with chamomile tea bags hanging out the cup and filled both with hot water from the kettle, then returning to the table.

"Barry, what happened?" Lucy asked while holding out a tea mug for Barry.

Barry's hand that wasn't holding the tissue grabbed the mug and brought it to his mouth to sip it. "Jay died." He choked out, "We-we were coming back from Earth-2 and we all made it through the breach until Zoom put his hand through Jay's chest and pulled him back through the breach and I couldn't do anything cause I just froze and -" Barry held his head in his hands, shaking his head at himself and more tears ran down his face.

Lucy grabbed another tissue from the box and wiped the falling tears that gathered at Barry's chin. She never really met Jay, but she had heard about him from Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin. Lucy could also tell that his death was messing with Barry and her heart reached out to his for that.