8: admit it's jealousy

Once the lunch bell sounded, the boys and girls ran out like gorillas in mating, as though their mates were the food in the cafeteria. I sighed and stroked my temple, trying to ease out the throbbing headache.

Which was odd. I've never really had a headache during lessons... Plus I didn't learn as much today.

Maybe I was sick?

I flashed my eyes open when I felt someone staring at me. It was just Ash. Obviously. Because he has nothing better to do.

"What is it with you!?" I asked as I stood up and shoved my books into my bag

"Is your head hurting?" He asked as he stood up as well.

"it's fine. Just a slight one." I sighed and strapped the bag over my shoulder. "I want to eat out."

"Are you asking me on a date?" He smirked and I rolled my eyes with a forced chuckle.

"Take it what you like. But I just need a ride from you." I said only to feel a bit uneasy when Peter walked up to us with a wide smile on his face.

"Hey, Riley, you didn't sit with me?" He asked and I glanced at the girl clinging onto his hand like it was the last drop of water. I glanced back to Peter a bit annoyed.

"The seat next to you seemed occupied, so I didn't want to be mean." I said and Ash gave me a look that I brushed off.

"So. Want to grab lunch with us?" He asked and I couldn't resist to glance back down at the girl staring at me.

"I'm having lunch out." I said and pointed at Ash. "With Ash. Want to come?" I smiled in question and he glanced down at the girl, as if she was the one to make up the decisions for him.

"Sarah, what do you think?" He asked and she nodded with a smile as she held up her hand to me.

"I'm Sarah Douglas." She said and I nodded in agreement but avoided her hand shake and simply brushed it off in the nicest way I could think of.

"Riley Marker." I smiled and Ash chuckled as he pulled out his keys.

"Are we going or not?" He asked and grabbed my wrist, yanking me forward and away from Peter and Sarah.

I stumbled to stable myself, and when I did, I glared at him for being very forceful and inconsiderate of my health.

"What was that for?" I asked and he smirked and glanced at me.

"You looked so jealous back there. I thought I could save you." He said weakly and I sighed, clenching my fists.

"It's not jealousy. He offered me a seat and he just lent it to someone." I whispered when I was fully aware of Peter and Sarah walking up behind us in laughter.

"I wish you were jealous for me though." He whispered back and I smacked his face away.

I'm not jealous.

We got to the car and I very much wanted to sit in the back with Peter, but the girl had already taken the spot. She must like him then.

Ash in turn, pulled me to the front seat. I sighed and crossed my arms as he started the car once he got in and drove it out of the parking lot and into the road.

I glanced up at the driver's mirror and cringed at how hard she laughed at his jokes. They weren't even that funny.

"So what did he say?" She giggled and I rolled my eyes and glanced out the window with a sigh.

"He was like, 'hold on, just a second, let me heal myself. I worked hard to find you and I want to kill you' I just sliced him once and he was gone." He chuckled and I groaned in boredom as she burst out laughing, ringing my ear drums.

That wasn't funny.

Why was she laughing like that?

I rolled down the window and allowed the fresh air to run across my face. I couldn't take it. Why the hell is she laughing like a maniac!?

I felt a hand grip my thigh and I glanced to my side. Ash with his odd behaviors. I will smack them away if I have to!

I brushed his hand off and glanced at him to which he just smiled to as though he felt pity for something.

What's his idea?

He pulled into the parking lot of the burger place and we all got down. I glanced up at the sign for no apparent reason and glanced over my shoulder to Sarah who was trying to rip off Peter's arm.

"Come on. It's fun. Just one push." She giggled as she pulled on him.

"Alright alright. Riley is it okay if we go to the ground? She wants me to push her on the swing set, we'll come back before the food comes. We'll have two burgers and large fries." He said and waved as she nagged on him and waved at me as they disappeared through the bared fence to the ground.

"Are you okay?" I heard Ash ask and I glanced at him as he stood in front of me. He smirked and furrowed his brows in suspicion. "You look deadly jealous right now."

"When will you give it a rest? Peter is just a good friend. Ugh." I walk past him and into the restaurant. I stopped at the till and sighed as I waited for the waiter to come.

"You seem so angry... I just thought you liked him." He said and tapped his fingers on the countertop. "Which I think you do but you just don't want to admit it. It's okay to like someone Riley. That's how things work."

"I've studied books on the human brain. What I'm feeling towards him is temporal, I just happen to like his personality and actions. I've never had friends before, maybe him being the first and nicest friend could be the reason I don't like Sarah. Because Peter is my friend and why have two friends? That's ridiculous." I folded my arms and glared at the floor in anger.

"Just admit. It makes things easy." He said and I glared at him now.

"It's human anatomic attraction. Just a base of friendship bond making. It's an effect that triggers the mind into casting possible illusions of impossible possibilities." I said and he chuckled.

"Okay." He finally gave up and I smiled to myself, giving myself a pat on the back.