49: Adrien's Heart

"Surprise!" Adrien said as he pushed the doors of his mansion open.

That he lives alone.

I wonder where his parents are...

"Wow!" Rhy screamed out as he ran towards the mini chocolate fountain surrounded by a bunch of presents and two stuffed large bears and panda.

I'm not a child though.

"You love it?" He asked as he glanced at the side of my head. I sighed out and chuckled a bit as I glanced up to meet his eyes.

"Well. It looks like a kid decorated this place." I chuckled and he shrugged his shoulders.

"I figured you're a lot girly than you actually look." He smirked with a wink and I cringed as I looked away and walked towards the present stack.

"Some of them are for your brother, since I figured he'd feel left out." He said as he walked behind me. "Though, I've got my actual gift waiting upstairs. Wanna go check it out?" I heard him say from behind.

"Why would I? Just go get it." I said as I pinched the bear's cheeks.

".... It's personal." He said as he grabbed my wrist softly. "Please?"

"But don't touch me." I warned as I pointed sharply at him to which he shrugged to and smirked.

"I won't, unless you want me to." He teased and I rolled my eyes as he led the way to the flight of stairs while Rhy devoured the chocolate fountain and the many snacks there.

However, there weren't any people around except for the butler that had been munching on some biscuits.

"So where are your parents?" I asked as I glanced up at his back. "I don't see them often. Even on social media."

"I don't talk to them often." He said in a near mummer as we then began to walk into the corridor. "They don't really like talking to me."

"Why?" I asked as I noticed his muscles tense up.

"I don't know." He sighed then stopped and waited until I was walking beside him. "Maybe they hate me?"

"Don't be ridiculous." I rolled my eyes as I glanced at the side of his face, only to notice his sad expression.

He was being serious.

"Maybe they're just busy?" I asked and he shrugged his shoulders as he opened the door to his room, allowing me to step in first before he closed the door behind us.

"I doubt it." He clenched his jaw as he pointed towards the bed where a long flat box sat. "I sent a few spies out to track and check if they were still alive last week and I discovered they were just out in Hawaii having their hundredth honeymoon together and eating up a quarter of my income without even thinking to text 'hi' to me. I was completely cut out of their lives since the past five years and they don't bother to check if I'm alright... I mean... I got shot eleven months ago and they didn't give a sh**!"

"You... Got shot!?" I asked in shock as I glanced at him from the present. "... I didn't even hear about that..."

"I didn't want it announced. Plus I was shot in a jet so by the time I landed, my assistant had to ensure that my agents cleared the small airport my parents bought and I was operated on at the airport." He said as he threw himself on the bed and sighed out.

"Where did you get shot?" I asked in worry as my eyes glazed around his body. His face was okay, his hands and exposed legs were perfectly fine....

"Here." He smiled slightly as he grabbed the edges of his shirt and pulled it up until he reached the top of his shoulder where I could see a scar in the extract position his heart was... "Right here."

"Y-Your heart?" I asked, the words failed to come out as fear enveloped me. "W-Were you O-Okay?"

"No. I actually died." He chuckled out but I frowned at him deeply. "Well, for a short moment. I was shot dead and my assistant managed to shoot back at the pilot plotting to kill me. My assistant, knowing piloting from her dad, managed to land us instantly and get me to the clinic." He sighed out and reconnected our eyes. "I was dead for nearly three minutes at that time and my brain was starting to realise I wasn't okay but did not know I was dead just yet. My assistant then told me that I was instantly kept frozen until they transported an artificial heart that well... Wasn't so reliable but very close to actually becoming a replacement. So basically I'm a test monkey and I might die any moment from now if it suddenly wears out or something." He laughed out but I didn't find it entertaining at all.

He was practically living each day like it was his last. Every hour and second that passed was a living nightmare to him...

"How does it work? Like... The makeup... It is battery?" I asked as tears surfaced my eyes, watching him sit in front of me knowing he would just close his eyes and never open them.

As much as I hate him, I don't want him to die... With me knowing.

"It works with electricity?" He seemed unsure as he stroked his chin. "Something like a battery but that can last at least four months. I just need to recharge it in about three weeks from now or it might stop completely." He chuckled a bit.

"Aren't you scared?" I asked, knowing I was completely shivering in fear.

"I was at first the last few... But then I had to accept the fact that I might fall one day and that's it." He sighed out and chewed on his lower lip as tears glistened in his eyes. "I was terribly scared. I thought I could accept it and just expect to go but... The more I thought about it, the more my heart pounded and the more I was at risk of using too much energy.... I was always reminded that I needed to stay calm and free of anxiety and depression to keep the battery in check... I was not ready to die but I was forced to accept the decision the world gave me..." He rubbed a hand through his eyes and smiled a bit as he looked at me from the floor. "I wanted to just get done with it.... But then... Your dad introduced you to me and... I actually felt like crying because I knew I wouldn't have enough time.... I know it sounds weird but I didn't fully like you until I met you in person. Of course we got off on the wrong foot but... I could tell you were genuinely nice. And always honest."

I looked down at the present on the bed as I wiped a tear from my eyes.

"Don't say things like that." I sighed and sat down next to the present between us. "What is it?" I asked, wanting nothing more than to change the subject.

"Open it." He smiled and I sighed, pushing some strands of hair behind my ear and began to unwrap the present.

A white box remained from the universal wrapping and once I lifted the lid....

"Wow... It's gorgeous...." I bit my lip as I stood up and held it at arms length from me. "H-How much was this?"

"It cost me a lot." He chuckled as he watched me marvel the red skintight but elastic dress that could stretch down to somewhere in my mid thighs. "Like a hell lot." He sighed out. "But it was worth it. It's custom made and my very own design." He said and I gasped at him.

No.

"You're kidding!" I chuckled as I pressed the dress on my chest and examined the length. "Your design?"

"Yap." He winked and chuckled. "Believe it."

"Oh I can." I chuckled as I waved my hand over the front where a few straps were covering the chest and I could tell it would expose a bit of too much chest, though, it wasn't that revealing. The back side as well as excess clothing that fell like drapes and would probably expose till the beginning of my lower back. "It's spells you all over. Plus I have to admit you have a really good clothing line."

"Thanks." He rolled his eyes then leaned onto his knees. "Won't you try it on?"

"No thank you. I will, once I get home." I said as I folded it.

"Why? What if I die two minutes later?" He chuckled and I shot him a glare.

"That joke sucks, Adrien!" I hissed and clenched the dress in my hands. "At least just say you're dying to see me wear it.... Not literally."

"Sorry. So, hurry. Go wear it." He bit his lower lip seductively and I rolled my eyes at him as I walked towards the bathroom door that was wide open.