23: Reuniting once more

I took my shoes off and hurried towards the stairs, plotting to rush right past my father.

All to no avail when I stopped at the foot of the stairs only to gaze into my father's challenging glare from the top of the stairs.

He reached his hand up to his face, brushing off a few strands of hair from his face as he walked down.

I gazed down at my feet as I heard the soft tapping of his white sandals against the tiled floor, making his way towards me like a prey.

"Busy goofing around I see." He pointed out and I raised my eyes to him.

"My life is non of-"

"Enough with your insolent behaviour." He thundered, standing just a centimeter away from me. His eyes burned right through mine as though the walls of hell had torn apart releasing the devil himself through the ruins of the gravel that used to be the walls holding everything in. "I will not tolerate this nonsense any longer. Have you completed all your study academics?"

"I'm almost done-"

"You were supposed to be advancing to exam academics, your ability to see any question coming without hesitation. I will not tolerate a 1% missing mark on your midterm next week. Is that understood?" He asked as he shot me a nasty glare to which I recoiled and sighed heavily.

"I know. I'm very aware of it." I said as I clenched my fists before he walked past me.

"I will continue this conversation after your midterm. Where you have been all this time will be questioned later. I have a business meeting to attend to and I hope you use your time responsibly." He said as he approached the door. "When your mother comes back I will be expecting dinner at exactly six. Nor later."

"She's been having night shifts." I explained as I stared at his serious face. "I will cook dinner."

"Where is the maid?" He asked and I cleared my throat a bit.

"She's just had a baby, mother gave her two months off-"

"Fire her. Her work is of no value any longer." He said and I clenched my teeth as I watched him pull on the suit my mother must have left for him on the hanger by the door.

"She'll be back." I defended. "She's alone and if she loses this job-"

"Then the concern is hers." He deadpanned before glaring over his shoulder to me. "If you will not, I will."

"You don't belong here anymore." I said through greeted teeth. "Just let us do our work and you do yours."

"I do belong here, Riley Dove Monica Walker. I am your father."

"Not any longer. You left us." I backfired but he smirked through his devilish musk.

"Did your mother not tell you, young lady?" He asked before walked towards me. A certain dark aroma filled my nostrils almost making me obnoxious. "We will be getting married again in three months prior. We will become a family once more and you will become the perfect human under my supervision."

"You... You can't just leave your other wife-"

"Oh yes I can. We had no children together therefore I can return to you and your mother without a bargain to carry. Besides, it would prove me difficult to mold another child to what I brought you to today. I prefer molding you into the perfect being on earth." He said before glancing down at his watch. "I must take leave. You're wasting my time asking too many questions. If you are preparing dinner tonight, do make it nutritious. You seem to be having some health issues. You're much skinnier than I remember." He said as he left and I sighed, climbing up the stairs.

My father always had an odd way of expressing his care towards me. Sometimes it felt like torture when he was actually concerned. Especially when it came to my health. If I dared cut myself by accident or suffered from a flu or virus, he would shout till kingdom come and heck, couldn't care less of how his voice affected me, he was greatly concerned with the fact that my heart still beats and that my lungs are still working, that everything is in perfect order and shape.

Maybe it comes from being his project to creating the perfect human, or maybe he just cared about me. In an odd way.

I felt my phone start to vibrate from inside the shorts and immediately placed it on my ear.

"Already miss me?" I asked when I knew it was just Ash.

"Just wanted to check up on you. Did you meet your dad?"

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked as I opened the door to my room and sighed, walking towards the closet.

"You sound really let down. Are you okay?"

"My dad wants to remarry my mum." I pinpointed.

"But...?"

"I don't want him at all." I sighed once more as I threw myself on the bed and gazed up at the ceiling. "He left us, not looking back and now he wants to come back?"

"Maybe he just misses you guys."

"The only thing my father would ever miss is the golden button on his suit that had fallen off a few years back before it got replaced." I said only to hear him chuckle lowly. "You can laugh later. I have to make dinner before six and my father is strict about time."

"I can see where you got your boring attitude from."

"Do me a favour, Ash?" I asked softly.

"What is it?"

"You have a garbage can outside right?"

"... Yeah so?"

"Throw yourself in there for me." I said and before he could protest or whine, I cut the call immediately and tossed it to the bed, getting ready to cook without distractions.