Enchanted Strawberries

Mal jumps when she hears a knock at the door. It was stupid. Like she hadn't spent all morning with Ben and his surprisingly mischievous mother. Still, she rolls her eyes, it didn't make the butterflies in her stomach any less active.

"You look great," Evie grins widely as she applies a final swipe of blush on each of Mal's cheeks before she grabs a small purse from the bedside table, "Here's the cover for the bathing suit. A face blotter so you don't wipe at your make-up. And some gum, you know, just in case."

"In case of what?"

"Use your imagination Mal," Evie winks before she opens the door, "Hi again Ben."

"Heya E," Ben grins. "Is Mal ready?"

"Yes, she is." Evie smiles widely as she pulls Mal from behind the door, "She just had to grab her purse."

"Hey," Mal greets with a blush, "found it."

"Wow. Mal you look-" Ben tilts his head to the side as their eyes lock, "You look beautiful."

"Yeah well, Evie's a miracle worker."

"And I don't doubt that," Ben chuckles lightly, "but today she had a perfect canvas to start with."

Evie bumps into the back of Mal when she doesn't say anything, "So, I'll see you two later then?"

"Sounds good," Ben winks, "don't worry I'll have her back before curfew."

"Have fun. Don't rush," Evie waves daintily as she slowly closes the door, pushing Mal out into the hallway.

Ben chuckles as he offers his arm to Mal. "Shall we?"

"Sure," Mal blushes as she takes his arm, "Let's do this."

Ben smiles as he guides her out to the parked moped, "Here, I picked up a helmet for you."

"Um, thanks?" Mal smiles at the shade of purple as she inspects it curiously.

Ben slings his helmet on before he tightens the strap under his chin.

"Ah." Mal nods as she copies his actions more carefully.

"Here, I can- I can help you tighten it." He reaches out and lightly adjusts the way the helmet was sitting on her head, "They can be tricky at first."

"Um, if you don't mind." She shrugs, unable to help her blush as his knuckles brush her chin and throat.

Ben smiles as he gently adjusts the strap, "You know, you have the prettiest eyes."

Mal blushes as she looks away, "Same."

"Really?" Ben asks as he swings one leg over the seat.

"Yeah... They've been four different shades since we've met."

Ben gives her a boyish grin, "I didn't know my eyes changed colors."

"A lot." She blurts out, "Green, blue, grey, brown... Depends on the day- Or maybe your mood? I'm not sure yet... But they're all, ya know, pretty, or whatever."

"Really?" Ben grins boyishly, "No one's ever mentioned that before. That sounds cool." He twists and holds his hand out, "Hop on."

"Right." Mal nods, as she takes his hand before getting on the back of the moped with him.

"Yours have little flecks of gold in them," Ben adds before he turns the engine over and kicks off, smiling widely when Mal's immediate reaction is to cling to his waist.

Mal can't help her smile as she studies Ben. He was kind, caring, and seemed very much tuned in to her level of comfort. Her mother would absolutely hate him on every level imaginable.