Get Back Up Again

Notes:

Hey Descendants!

Happy first Friday of 2020!

We're so excited to announce that we have finished all rewrites and edits for this book, and are about half way through book three. Don't worry, we'll keep you guys updated if our posting schedule changes.

Back to the story...

Poor Ben finally had so much of what he wanted... And now he's dealing with everyone's opinion without his friends by his side...

Enjoy :D

(See the end of the chapter for Questions.)

Ben sighs as he picks at his food. He hadn't bothered showing up for lunch, but he knew from experience that if he missed more than one meal Mrs. Potts would hunt him down.

And she was a force to be reckoned with when she thought something was wrong enough to put a person off their food.

So, here he was. Alone.

It was like everything he'd wanted, all his hard work had all come full circle.

The dining hall felt empty without the gang, without his friends. And at the same time, the volume level was too much. He sighs as he looks around, noticing the way everyone seemed to occasionally watch him before they turned away again.

Everything felt so different now.

"Benni-Boo?"

Ben takes a deep breath before he turns in her direction, "Yes, Audrey?" He smiles up at her. It had been a while since she had sought him out.

"You look upset." She states matter of factly.

"Very observant of you." He nods his head, trying to keep the sarcasm from his tone. "This morning has been very busy."

"Oh, Ben." She frowns before she sits beside him and takes his hand, "It does sound like it's been very stressful. I've heard about all the bad things happening around the school, and have seen some of the wreckage."

Oh, mother help him. He'd rather sit alone. "Some of it is rather hard to miss." How had he dated her so long? She was just so predictable, classist, and bigoted.

Audrey nods, "You don't believe they did it though, do you?"

"No, I really don't." Ben lowers his fork to his plate. "For a lot of reasons, the top one being that they're good, and kind, albeit a little misguided by no fault of their own."

"You've looked forward to their arrival for so long," She pats his hand, "I'm sorry. I know this must hurt."

"Thank you," Ben smiles, surprised by her genuine sympathy. "I just can't believe someone in this school would sink this low." He frowns, "Or what could have triggered it."

"I don't know Ben. I would not have thought anyone in Auradon could be cruel." Her brow furrows as she watches him, "Do you really think someone in Auradon, or any kingdom under its banner, could do something like this?"

He did. How else had children grown up on an isle full of villains? He frowns, "I- I know it's easier for others to believe they did this, but I know they didn't."

"I'm sure things will start to get better once the investigation is complete." She smiles prettily up at him.

He half-heartedly smiles in return, "I agree with that completely."

Audrey nods before she shifts as if to stand and leave, but pauses, "I know I'm not your girlfriend anymore Ben, but that doesn't stop me from caring for you. And I am here if you need to talk to someone."