Chapter 2: The Fight

As Anakin went back to the shop to get Watto's approval, Alana went to work on the speeder. She was there for a while when suddenly, she felt her mother's presence behind her.

"Alana, we must talk," Shmi said.

Alana looked up from her work and sighed. She rolled out from under the speeder and stood, wiping the grease and sand from her hands onto her pants.

"You have to go back with him," Shmi said quietly.

"Mom, I won't leave you and Ani. I can't," Alana said quickly.

"If you tell the Jedi council what has happened," Shmi trailed off.

"I'm happy here," Alana said. "I'm happy with my family, and I'm not leaving."

"But the things you do, Lanie. I want you to stop. The night shift, the work, I want you to stop it all. I'm so terrified each night that you're gone. Promise me you'll stop," Shmi said.

Alana looked down at her hands and bit her lip.

"I'm going tonight," she said quietly. "I wasn't going to tell you."

"No, Alana. Each time you come back you're hurt and-" Shmi paused. I'm afraid of what they'll do to you if-"

"I'm fine, Mom. I'm always fine," Alana interrupted.

"Do you even listen to me, Lanie? You're a free woman. You don't have to stay here. You have your powers, you have your freedom, and yet you're here. And for what?"

"Of course I listen, Mom," Alana replied, crossing her arms across her chest. "I listen to you, but I am here because it's the only way I can protect you. It's the only way I can protect Anakin. I didn't want them to find him. I came back so that the Jedi would never reach him as they did me. I work at night so that Anakin can learn. So that we have things other than a simple slavers life. I do everything for you two, because I wasn't able to when I was gone. And I'm not leaving again. You remember what happened when I left last time, and I won't let it happen again," Alana said before storming off.

"Lanie-" Shmi called. She watched her daughter storm off just as Anakin, Qui-Gon, and the others returned.

"What's wrong with Alana?" Anakin asked, looking up to his mother.

"Never you mind," Shmi said, ruffling his head and pulling him in for a hug.

Alana went to her room and breathed, her mind flashing back to a time long ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lanie! Peek-a-boo!" Shmi's voice floated to Alana.

Alana's giggle permeated the air, causing Shmi to laugh.

"Happy birthday, darling," another voice came.

"Papa!" Alana called, reaching her arms up to her father. The three of them were celebrating Alana's fourth birthday. They had just gotten a small farm on the planet of Naboo.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"Of course people come right when we are trying to celebrate," Alana's father, Ophrion, said.

The three of them went to the door. Alana out from behind her mother's legs as the door opened, and a man and a small green creature, both dressed in brown robes and tan tunics were standing in front of them. Alana smiled at the funny-looking green man.

"Can we help you?" Shmi asked.

"Ah yes, is this the residence of Alana Skywalker?" The man asked.