Chapter 5: The Council of Coruscant

Alana woke with a start to someone shaking her shoulder violently. She looked up to see Anakin in front of her, a beaming smile on his face.

"We're almost there," he said. "I want to go up to the cockpit."

Alana took a deep breath, realizing that there was no danger, and that they were alright. She sat up and stretched before standing and letting her brother whisk her down the hall to the cockpit. They arrived just as the ship was coming out of hyperspace.

"Wow!" Anakin exclaimed. The pilot chuckled and pointed to the planet of Coruscant that lay directly ahead of them.

"Coruscant," he said. "The entire planet is one big city."

He maneuvered the ship at an angle parallel to the landing platform. Alana could see people coming out of a shuttle next to the platform.

"Look, there's Chancellor Vellorum's shuttle," the pilot said. "And over there, Senator Palpatine is waiting for us."

"Come on, Anakin," Alana said. "Let's let him land the ship." The two of them made their way out of the cockpit and down to the door, where the entire crew was surrounding the queen. Alana and Anakin stepped up behind Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The Queen and her handmaids were right behind them with her head of security.

As the doors opened, they stepped down off the ship and approached the Senator. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan bowed, with Alana and Anakin following suit. They stepped out of the way to reveal the queen.

"It is a great gift to see you alive, Your Majesty," Senator Palpatine said. "With the communications breakdown, we've been very concerned. I'm anxious to hear your report on the situation."

Alana noticed Anakin about to wander off, so she quietly placed both her hands on his shoulders and held him steady.

"May I present Supreme Chancellor Valorum," Senator Palpatine continued.

"Welcome, Your Highness. It's an honor to finally meet you in person," the Chancellor said.

"Thank you, Supreme Chancellor," the queen replied as they began to head towards the shuttle. Alana let go of her brother, and he followed behind the queen, overly absorbed in the conversation. Alana chose to fall in step beside Obi-Wan.

"I must relay to you how distressed everyone is over the current situation. I've called for a special session of the senate to hear your position," he replied.

"I'm grateful for your concern, Chancellor," the queen replied.

"There is a question of procedure, but I'm confident we can overcome it," Palpatine replied.

As the group continued towards the shuttle, Qui-Gon stopped to speak with the Chancellor. Alana stood quietly beside Obi-Wan as he spoke.

"I must speak with the Jedi Council immediately. The situation has become much more complicated," Qui-Gon looked to Alana.

She looked over to see Anakin had stopped and was looking to her for what to do. Alana saw Padme speak quietly to him, and he continued forward while still looking back at his sister.

Qui-Gon nodded and waved him away. Alana gave him a smile and a nod as if to say 'I'll see you soon." After being reassured by that, he moved onto the shuttle and sat beside Jar-Jar. The shuttle took off, leaving the Alana with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

The Chancellor bid them farewell and headed back to the Senate with his guards just as another shuttle arrived to bring the group to the Jedi Temple.

Alana found herself beside Obi-Wan as the shuttle took off. She looked about her, smiling to herself at the busy airstreams of Coruscant. As they approached the Temple, she took a deep breath. It had been seven years since she had been this close to the Temple. She could sense the intense power of the Force, but it did not overwhelm her as it once had.