Chapter 8: Normalcy

(AN: Yay for younglings! -Rach)

"Here, my dear," a voice shook Alana out of her readings. She was in the Jedi archives room on Coruscant, studying the names and faces of each Jedi in the Order, or at least the new Jedi.

She looked up to see the Librarian, Master Jocasta with an armload of more personnel files. Seeing this, Alana let out a big sigh. While Master Windu had told her that she didn't have to memorize each one, he had told her that he had memorized them all when he had been a Padawan.

Not wanting to let him down, she spent her free time deep in the Jedi archives, reviewing the files.

"Thank you, Master Jocasta," Alana said, looking over at the stack of about thirty personnel files that she had finished memorizing.

"Oh you're quite welcome," Master Jocasta replied, taking the finished stack. "You're by far one of the students I see the most, here, and I enjoy your company."

"As much as I enjoy yours, sometimes I wonder what I'm doing all of this for," Alana said. It had been almost two years since her last mission, and that had been the fight on Naboo. She didn't even want to count it. Now, she just spent hours training and meditating and all her free time in the Jedi archive, so the days went by painfully slowly.

"Oh, Alana, do not be discouraged. This is teaching you many things," Master Jocasta responded, giving her a light smile.

"Like what, Master?"

"Patience, understanding, compassion, and you're learning new strategies, and you're gaining new knowledge," Master Jocasta said.

Alana pursed her lips and looked down at the file in her hands. It was for a youngling who has just been brought to the temple, the name of Ahsoka Tano. She then thought of her own brother, who she had rarely seen since he had begun his training. They had last spoken four months earlier over holograph communication, but there had been nothing since.

"Perhaps you should take a break," Master Jocasta said. "I heard that your brother was to return today with Obi-Wan Kenobi," she said, sensing Alana's thoughts.

"Really?" Alana stood abruptly, startling Master Jocasta.

"I think you'll find them on their way to the Council right now."

"Thank you, Master!" Alana said, beginning to make her way out of the archives. "Oh, and you can keep these files out, I'll be back before you know it."

"Of course," Master Jocasta said with a kind smile.

Alana turned to go and had made it to the doorway when she frowned and turned to Master Jocasta.

"Master, how did you know that Obi-Wan and Anakin would be on their way to the Council?"

"Over time, you begin to notice trends in the databases of what each Jedi does when they return from their posts. Master Yoda meditates, Obi-Wan goes to the Council, and most of the Younglings and Padawans head straight for the refectory as soon as their Masters dismiss them," Master Jocasta said.

Alana raised an eyebrow.

"You learned all of that through the files?"

"Yes, Alana, I did," Master Jocasta said. "Now go see your brother, my dear. I would not keep him waiting."

Alana bowed and made her way out of the room and towards the tower where the Council was located. She made her way up the elevator and towards the Council chambers. When the doors opened, Alana made her way down the hall and spotted her brother sitting on one of the benches outside the Council room.