chapter twenty-four

"Ow! Peyton, you know that's attached to my head??" Alex whined as I pulled him out the back door by his ear

"Start explaining." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Some of the guys told Jack you're too close to Trevor, and I guess he's starting to believe it." He explained.

"That's ridiculous, you told him that's ridiculous right?"

"Well...."

"Oh my god, Alex!"

"I wanted to! I probably could have worded it differently though." He said and I scoffed. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"Peyton!" My mom called. "Come on, desert is out."

"Come on." Alex slung his arm over my shoulder.

The rest of breakfast was rather quick and for someone who was mad at me and his best friend Jack sure could act. My family was eating out of the palm of his hand. When people started to clear out my parents gave me the all clear to go home and my friends as well. As I was searching for my brothers I caught Jack trying to leave out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Trevor asked me.

"Almost." I said, grabbing his hand and running to the door and grabbing Jack's.

I pulled the two of them out to the pier where Alex and I had talked earlier.

"Okay. I'm only gonna say this one more time. Trevor and I, are just friends." I said.

"Wait what?" Trevor said. "Since when was that up for question?"

"It's not. You're dumb teammates keep putting ideas in his head and evidently he doesn't trust either of us very much." I said.

"Hey, that's not true." Jack spoke up.

"Then why do you believe them?" I asked.

"Because Trev's a better guy than me." He said. "I feel like I'm just waiting for you to realize."

"Jack, come on dude." Trevor said.

"No seriously, ya know who wasn't two hours late to your family breakfast? Trevor. He didn't sleep through his alarm, hell he powered through a monster hangover to get here for you."

"You made a mistake? It's not the end of the world." I said. "Trev, can we have a minute alone?"

"Yeah, I'll go start the car." Trevor said.

"I trust you." Jack said.

"Funny way of showing it. " I said. "Jack, I love you. You have to believe me."

"I do believe you, I do. I just--" He paused. "I can't lose you and I can't help but freak out at the thought of you being with my best friend. I know we've only been together a month but, you mean everything to me."