chapter thirty

"Mom, please don't cry

"Mom, please don't cry. It's not that big of a deal." I told her as she wiper under her eyes.

"Are you kidding me? Not a big deal? My baby boy is graduating high school today." She told me.

"Uh, aren't I the baby?" Luke asked, laughing.

"You're all my babies." My mom whined, crying harder.

"Great job douche." Quinn smacked Luke.

"I'll be fine." She took a deep breath. "Jim! Let's go!" She shouted.

"I'm coming!" He yelled.

"Let's take your picture by the sign on the lawn." My mom gushed, ushering my brothers and I out the front door.

Just as we stepped off the porch a familiar black SUV pulled up, forcing a smile on my face.

"Look Ma! The Peyton smile!" Quinn nudged her. "I told you he get's that look."

"Shut up." I shoved him.

Sure enough when the back door opened and the little open toed shoe hit the pavement, my smile grew three times in size.

"Got it." My mom grinned after the camera flash had gone off.

"So annoying." I laughed, walking up to the car to kiss and hug her mom. "Hi Wendy." I greeted her.

"Hi Jack, congratulations." She smiled, hugging me before handing me a small gift bag.

"Oh, you didn't have to do that." I smiled.

"Oh shush, of course we did." Rob said, shaking my hand. "Congratulations son, I look forward to seeing what you accomplish in these next few years."

"Thank you, Rob." I smiled, looking at the ground. "Thank you for letting me date your daughter."

"I'm still kinda iffy on that one." He teased, making me laugh.

"Boys, looking dapper." I greeted the twins with the unanimous NTDP handshake.

"Thank you, thank you." Brady said, pulling at the collar of his shirt.

"Congrats dude." Liam told me.

"Thanks man." I said as I made my way over to Peyton and my mom who were immersed in conversation, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and making jump a little before giggling. "Hi beautiful." I kissed her head.

"You can't come up from behind me and grab my hips. I'm ticklish and jumpy and one of these days I'm gonna punch you." She said, making my mom laugh. "Did my mom give you the gift?"

"Yes she did." I said, shaking the little bag.

"Ooo! That reminds me." Mom jumped and scurried over to my dad who was talking to Rob before hustling back. "This is for you." She said, holding the box out to Peyton.