chapter twenty-eight

"Hey Peyton, look at me

"Hey Peyton, look at me." Trevor said forcing me to turn and face him in the Target isle.

When I'd turned around I'd found Trevor with his head in a big pale, peaking through the handle holes at me.

"Stop messing around, I brought you here for help!" I said, pulling the pale off his head and tossing it to the side. "Jack's birthday party is tonight and all I have is a stupid college sweatshirt."

"Hey, that is not stupid Peyton. Well, depending on what school its for, if you picked Wisco it's stupid." Trevor tried joking with me. "Okay I know we've generously been giving you our opinions the last few weeks about where you end up next year but, no matter what you pick we are all so proud of you. I mean I cannot even begin to tell you how proud I am that you got into Boston and Wisconsin and gave me and the guys the opportunity to fight over who you spend the next few years with. And that's just me! I can't speak for how proud Jack is of you but I know it's a whole lot."

"Thank you buddy." I smiled.

"But seriously, you picked Boston right?" He asked.

"You will find out later." I said and he scoffed. "Come on, what else can I get him?"

"You don't need my help with this you dingus. You know Jack at such a different level than me." Trevor said, sliding his vibrating phone out of his pocket. "Turcs, what's good my brother?"

"Don't talk like that." I told him, which made him giggle before walking away.

As Alex gave Trevor a list of things we still needed to gather for the party I continued on the journey of a better gift for Jack. I was wandering the isles of Target, looking at random things on the shelves for inspiration when suddenly it hit me.

"You ready, little miss? Turcs needs us to hit Party City on the way back to your house." Trevor reappeared.

"I've got it."

~

"Happy birthday dear Rowdy! Happy birthday to you!" The party sang before Jack blew out his candles.

"Are you one?" Cole said.

"Absolutely not." Jamie said, practically tackling him.

"What did you wish for?" I asked, leaned on him from behind.

"If I tell you it won't come true." Jack smiled, as I placed a kiss on his lips.

"Presents!" Trevor yelled. "Peyton first!"

"Would that be because Peyton is the only one who got me anything?" Jack asked and the group looked around, as if they had no idea what he meant. "Uh-huh."

"Plus, we want to know where she's going next year." Alex said.

"So this isn't about me at all? Nice." Jack teased.