1

Tuesday December 10th.

"I'm sure Sebastian would love to see his baby." Chrissie looked at the screen, at the image of a virtually unrecognisable, six week old, embryo. She'd never seen a scan done so early before so wasn't really sure what to expect but the tiny thing on the screen that had seemingly dodged a bullet to survive had already stolen her heart and she was desperate for it to steal Chloe's heart too. Her words were met by stone cold silence. "He's desperate to see you, both of you." More silence. She'd tried every day to encourage her to see her husband, but to no avail. Tearing her eyes away from the screen she looked at her daughter. "Chloe, why don't you take a look at your baby?" Chloe had her eyes screwed tightly shut but tears were still escaping from them. She was in despair over her situation, she just couldn't get her head around it at all. Chrissie didn't know what else to do or say, this was Chloe's second ultrasound scan since she'd been admitted to hospital on Thursday and both times she'd refused to look at the screen, it was painful to witness. "Can I request a picture for Sebastian?"

"Do what you want." Chloe muttered miserably. The nurse nodded her head and tapped on the keyboard while Chrissie exchanged a resigned look with David. Opening her eyes, Chloe stared blankly up at the ceiling, letting her silent tears fall back into her hair; the same questions were whirling around in her head again and again, how did she end up here? What in the hell had happened for her to end up in a hospital bed in Norway with a wound from a gunshot that had narrowly missed any major organs and a diagnosis of psychogenic amnesia? What had gone so horribly wrong? Even more puzzling was the tiny miracle growing inside her that had survived the ordeal too and that led to even more questions - when did she meet Sebastian Vettel? When and how did she fall in love with him? She obviously must have loved him enough to marry him and to get pregnant with his child, why couldn't she remember a single detail of their relationship? How long had they been together before they got married? Had she always wanted kids with him? Was this baby planned or an accident? How was she going deal with the fact that she was married to man she barely knew? She knew of him and she knew that she'd applied for the job as his temporary PA, that he was a four times world champion who drove for the Ferrari formula one team, that he'd won all four of his titles with Red Bull Racing and that he had a reputation for being a fiercely private man away from the sport but that was all she could recall. Her mind was left with a great big gap between waiting for news following her interview with Britta Roeske and now. How the fuck had she lost nearly a whole year?? It just didn't add up, there were so many blanks to fill in. She looked at her gold wedding ring, she felt guilty, how the hell had she apparently 'forgotten' so much, including her own husband? What the fuck was wrong with her? What kind of woman forgets her own husband?

"Do you want to see your baby's photo?" The nurse asked, her voice full of hope. "Before we give it to daddy to look at?"

"No." She whispered tearfully, because looking at it made it seem even more real and it just made her feel even worse.

"I'll take it outside to Sebastian." Chrissie spoke up, her voice shaking with emotion. While she knew Seb would be happy to see the image of his growing miracle, the one good thing to come out of this whole ordeal, he'd be upset that his wife still refused to see him. The nurse passed the scan image over to her and she left the room, leaving Chloe alone with her father while the nurse dried off any remaining gel delicately from her stomach, taking care to avoid the large white patch that was covering her wound. Once the nurse had finished and covered her up, she winced and hissed in pain as she sat herself up some more.

"I don't suppose anyone's bought my phone in with them have they?" She asked, knowing what the answer would be. David shifted uncomfortably in his seat before he answered while the nurse left, wheeling the ultrasound scanner out of the room with her.