48

Friday May 8th.

With the wind blowing, the rain coming down heavily outside, obscuring the view of the mountains, and tricking down the window, Chloe sat in her chair with her feet up on a small square ottoman footstool while nursing a mug of coffee in her hands. Unbeknown to Seb, this was her second one today and after limiting herself to one a day due to being pregnant, she knew he wouldn't be overly happy to see her drinking it. But to her, it was well needed. She'd had one of the worst night's sleep she'd encountered for a long time; not only was baby Vettel falling into a nightly routine of kicking and wriggling around inside her, she was finding that now she getting bigger it was getting more and more difficult to find a comfy sleeping position. Even her usual ritual of cosying up to her husband was now uncomfortable and she'd taken to using to her body pillow for support while laying facing away from him - something that felt unnatural to her. It wasn't just things like that that had kept her awake last night though, it was Seb himself. Usually he would sleep easily; to her he was one of those lucky types of people who could fall asleep quickly and stay asleep, he could literally sleep anywhere and there wasn't too much that would disturb him - no doubt a result of years of sleeping in different hotels and motor homes - but not last night. Last night he'd been restless, tossing and turning in bed, huffing and puffing, getting up and wandering around, throwing the duvet off and then pulling it back over them again. She'd been very close to moving into a guest bedroom and time and again she'd asked him if he was alright or if he was feeling unwell and he'd insisted that he was ok but she knew better, she'd known all week that something was on his mind. He'd been a little off from Monday evening onwards, often a bit distant, spending large chunks of time in his office despite Mia and Leonie arriving the next day to stay for a few days. Whatever was bothering him was clearly weighing heavily on his mind and she just wished he'd tell her what it was. She felt as though he was keeping something from her and after everything they'd been through since they'd been together, that hurt. So far today, he'd been no different. He'd taken the girls back their mother's and then when he'd got back he'd gone straight up to his office again. He hadn't even trained this morning and hadn't trained since Wednesday, that was even more unusual. The more she thought about him, the more worried she became. Enough was enough; she put her mug down and eased herself up from her comfy chair, she was going to get Seb to tell her what was on his mind even if she had to force it out of him. Turning around she nearly jumped out of her own skin when she saw him standing there, looking at her, still looking as though he had a lot on his mind.
"Fucking hell Seb!" She couldn't help but yell at him, she really hadn't expected to see him just standing there like that. "Are you trying to make me go into premature labour or something?!"

"Sorry." He gave her a small apologetic shrug of his shoulders. He looked anxious and hesitant, as though he wanted to tell her something but didn't know how to say it.

She immediately began to feel nervous because the last time he'd looked like that it had been because her nan had died. "Seb, whats wrong? You've not been yourself all week, you've been distant, you've holed yourself up in that office for hours at a time, you've not trained, you've barely spent time with your kids, you've been awake most of last night, keeping me awake with your pacing about.....I'm seriously fucking worried about you, I've asked you if anything's wrong and the fact that something obviously bloody is and you won't talk to me about it really bloody hurts." She paused for a breath, he just stood there, still looking at her. "Seb, please just talk to me! I feel like you're keeping something from me!" She pleaded, raising her voice again, wanting to get through to him. "Is it me? Have I done something to upset you? Has something happened to either of your parents?"

"No." He answered quickly. "Nothing like that!"

"Then talk to me. After all the shit we've been through, I thought we said there'd be no more secrets? I'm your wife Seb! If you can't talk to me then......."