Chapter 16: Tough Times Never Last, Tough People Do

It was the day of the prelim round. Since it was a closed contest, Yue and Zi Wei waited outside the conference halls for the final news. Didi and other contestants had been inside since 8am this morning. It was a very strict contest where those who were picked to semi-finals would be judged on their physique, evening wear catwalk, a live photoshoot and a written test. Yue heard that there were hundreds who submitted their entries and only fifteen would be selected for semi-finals. Yue had confidence in Didi as he had previous experience in winning a modeling contest like this.

"Zi Wei, I'm going to get myself a cup coffee. Would you like some?" Yue stood up. "Yes, espresso please. I have been staying up late to design a new collection for F4 boys." Zi Wei said as she yawned. Yue smiled. "You are always inspired at midnight."
"Best time to work." she responded with another yawn.

There was a coffee cafe down the hall where some food shops were located. As she head back towards Zi Wei, she saw a group of people crowding around the notice board area. Didi should be done by now, perhaps that was the announcement of the semi-finalists? She quickly headed over and was trying to steer her way through the small crowd. When she got to the front, she looked at the list.

There were 3 Wangs':

Wang Run Ze
Wang Yi Bo
Wang He Di

"YES!!!" she exclaimed when she saw his name, almost at the same time with the girl next to her. She glanced sideways and almost dropped her coffee. She knew her from the photo she saw in his room. It was his ex, Zhou Ye. Up close, she looked even prettier with her hair tied halfway and she was in a white dress. Yue felt a pang of insecurity.

The girl smiled at her and nodded. "Which name are you looking at?" She asked.
"I think you know him. It's Wang He Di." Yue replied.
Zhou Ye raised her eyebrow. "Are you his friend?"
Yue smiled. "I'm his personal coach. I mean I used to be."
"Nice to meet you. I'm his girlfriend, Zhou Ye." she said casually. Yue's heart sank. Did she hear it right? She said girlfriend, not ex. Did they get back together already?
"Please to meet you. I...erm....congrats to him. And you. I mean...he is good."
"Yes, he is the best." Zhou Ye beamed.

Yue looked around for Zi Wei and saw her still at the same place. "See you around." Her knees felt weak. Her hands started to shake. Her heart was all over the place. What is going on? What is the story? As Yue felt her emotions running wild, she quickly ran to the bathroom to cool herself down. Must not let anything affect me, she thought. He had won and that matters to her the most. Yue splashed some water on her face and smiled at the mirror. "Yue, be a pro. No matter what happens, stay cool." She took a deep breath and stepped outside.

___________

Didi came out of the hall, feeling fantastic. He had so much confidence when he found out that he was shortlisted as the final 15. Yue must be so proud of him. He looked around for her and spotted her and Zi Wei who was waving at him. He ran towards them excitedly. "Yue! I made it to the semi-finals!" He said, opening his arms to hug her. But, Yue took his hand instead and shook it. "Congrats Didi! I know you will make it!" Didi looked puzzled and thought maybe she did not want to have public display of affection.

He smiled "I owe it to you, Yue. And thanks Zi Wei, they love the suit."
Zi Wei hit his arm. "I'm so excited! I have already designed the collection for your finals!"
"So soon! Wow!" He exclaimed. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw someone standing watching them. He glanced and saw Zhou Ye. What is she doing here? he thought. He turned to Yue,"Do you want to wait for me? I just wanna say hi to a friend." Yue did not miss that word. Friend or girlfriend?
"Didi, I'm a bit tired. I will head home first to pack. Remember I'm moving out tomorrow." She reminded him.
Didi looked at her and wanted to say something. His face looked glum. "Yue, I want to talk to you about it. Can we do that tomorrow? Since it might be late when I come back." He was worried for her. She did look tired and her eyes were puffy.
"Sure." Yue said weakly.