Old Friends Part 3

Almost everyone who knows me read that little blurb: that one titled "Daddy?"

Now some are disappointed in me. Some think it's hilarious. But thank God that my mother will never see it. Should I delete it?

Maven unlocked the door of his house to find Cal sitting on the couch.

"So how did your day go?"

Maven hung up his coat and waved a dismissal hand at his older brother. "It went fine. And if you're interested, they broke up three weeks ago."

"Who broke up?"

Sigh."Cal, you know exactly who I'm talking about. Now how about you cook me dinner since you were so kind to drop by."

Cal smirked and sauntered towards the kitchen.

"And for gods' sake, don't use the food coloring!"

A playful groan rang out. "I'm out of food coloring already. So your mashed potatoes will be a natural color this time."

A blissful silence settled as Maven changed to a more comfortable outfit. "So........what do you think of having a guest over?"

Cal scoffed. "I am the guest. And Thomas spends enough time here to not be one."

"I meant someone else, idiot."

He grunted. "I figured. But who would come over for dinner other than your—"

"Shut up! Don't finish that sentence!" If only I was tall and strong enough to wipe that stupid smile off his face. No, I can't see it. But anybody with ears could hear it.

"Alright, I won't. So who's coming over?"

"Mare."

Crash.

"Now what the—"

"I-i-it's fine. Just dropped something."

Maven ran to the kitchen. "Cal! You broke my ceramic plate?!"

"In my defense, you delivered quite shocking news."

"I assumed you would like to know that she's coming over in the next.....two hours or so? You can leave now, since she doesn't know you're here."

Cal stuttered. "Well, well.... I don't have to leave if you're having someone over. I'm cooking the food, after all."

...

Cal was drumming his fingers on his plate, glancing at the clock every once in a while.

If you counted a while being five seconds, yeah. That was how that was.

Meanwhile, Maven chuckled while wolfing down his food.

"Can you not do that? You sound like a dying chihuahua."

His little brother merely ticked a finger. "It takes one to know one, dear brother."

Scoff.

"And you look like a lost puppy, waiting for his owner that may never arrive."

Cal narrowed his eyes. "She's not coming, is she? You just lied to see how I would react."

His suspicions were confirmed when Maven nearly spat out his food, trying to contain his laugh. He swallowed, then chuckled. "What do you expect, Cal? When are you going to realize that nearly every single word that comes out of my mouth is a lie?"

He was not fazed by his brother's smoldering glare. "Could you redirect that look to your food? It just might heat up that cold plate." He pointed his fork towards Cal's plate to emphasize his point.

...

"You do the dishes. I cooked the food, you lied to me, so you do the dishes."

"You decided to break into my house. You do the dishes. I have homework."

Cal growled. "But why can't you do the dishes?"

Ding.

Maven smirked. "'Cause I have to answer the door. Now be a good lad do what I say. It's my house."

"But I'm the guest."

"Still. My house."

"If it's your house, take care of it yourself."

"You're lucky I don't throw you out since it's my house."

Ding.

"Go on. Those dishes won't wash themselves."

Cal grumbled while making his way towards the sink. He hated his brother when he was being manipulative.

Maven smirked and opened the door, very surprised to see who was ringing. "Oh, what brings you here, Mare?"

Crash.

Mare jumped. "What's that noise? Do you have a dog in there or some?"

Maven scratched his neck. "I prefer to call it a puppy that happens to drop in every once in a while."

"Ah. So um, you kind of left this at the store, so I just wanted to give it back." She held out her hand to give him his wallet.

Truth be told, she took it from his pocket while they were speaking during those few seconds.

"Actually, it can't be that late. You want to stay here awhile?"

Mare was taken aback by the offer. "Uh, thanks, but I still have to give Shade these condoms......"

His response was a grin. "I don't see any problem in testing how long your brother can keep it in his pants."

"Oh, I don't know, Maven..." Well, she wanted to see him again in the first place.

"Then at least say hi to an old friend."

Mare deadpanned him. "I believe I already have."

"I don't mean me. I mean the puppy that's been after a particular bone for quite a while."

I'll make a part 4, don't worry. So how has life been treating you? It's getting close to Christmas (and also one of our favorite characters' birthday).

This is the third writer speaking, and have a good day🙂