Unexpected Surprises

This is another fanfiction after War Storm.

He felt as if his life was complete.

Norta was rebuilding—slowly, but surely. He opted to stay out of most of the reconstruction, as he was not really needed.

He built a life about two years since the kingdom became a republic. He never thought he could move on from a certain lightning girl, but one day he unexpectedly bumped into a Red girl on the streets.

Her name was Daphne Winters and they had been dating for the better part of the past year.

Until last week, he received the best news to date.

He was having a son.

He really felt as if he won at life. His mother would surely be proud of him.

...

"Kilorn, what brings you here?"

He smiled. "I have other things to do than fish. Which reminds me. If you want, you can join me this coming weekend after the meetings."

"Oh, so you're into politics now?"

The two chuckled at their banter. What seemed to be a petty rivalry a lifetime ago turned into a joke no one would understand but them.

The conversation was quickly interrupted when Daphne trotted up to them and kissed Cal's cheek. "Darling, the food's getting cold. Come on so you can warm it up again."

Cal laughed and nuzzled her cheek. "Just give me a sec and I'll be there as soon as I can, okay?" He kissed her lips as she giggled.

Kilorn scrunched his nosed. "So are you two like a thing, now?"

"Yeah, we're even having a son."

Kilorn instantly paled, turned away abruptly and walked away, much to Cal's confusion.

...

Even though what he'd done made the situation strange, Kilorn had insisted that Cal should join him for a little fishing.

Though it wasn't the main point.

"So," Cal coughed. "So what was that about?"

"What was what?"

"You walking away after Daphne said she was pregnant."

Silence.

Cal looked Kilorn. "Is there something wrong?"

Kilorn muttered "very" under his breath but cleared his throat. "No, not at all."

"Oh."

An awkward silence passed between them.

"Cal?"

"Yeah?"

"How has it been here? With you, personally."

"Fine. Life started looking up when I met Daphne."

Every word coming out of his mouth pales Kilorn even more. "Do you ever look back and miss your life?"

"Yes." He lowered his head as he answered. "I miss him. Sometimes, I feel everything was my fault."

"You know it isn't."