Nightmare

Requested by @Leiladragon.

The soldiers have taken to following him.

In a normal situation, this would have been a good thing, but they only followed him since he was the only constant source of heat.

Not to mention, the soldier he really wanted was not by his side—but was she ever, he thought with a scowl.

When he reached his sleeping quarters—a little bigger than the average storage closet—they stopped following him, huddling together for at least the illusion of warmth as they walked the opposite direction.

He was exhausted. Still,  he opened the door and collapsed on his bed (straight on his back and stiff arms, a force of habit) trying his best to stay awake.

Once again, he was in the throne room kneeling, but strangely, his father wasn't there. Instead, right in front of him was Samson, Mare only a few feet beside him.

She collapsed, clutching her head as if it were tampered with. Samson sneered at Mare, then his face twisted to a snarl as he turned towards Cal.

The image of Tiberias VI flashed into his head, begging for mercy when there was none. 

His fingers gripped the sword, slightly melting the hilt. The blade sang as it cut through the air, and detached his father's head from the body.

The memory ended, then stopped. The scene rewinded at the speed of light, and played again. Each time it repeated the knife in his gut twisted and turned.

Cal could do nothing. Closing his eyes was futile, since he knew the images were in his head. 

His father's death rewinded and replayed for what felt like hours when the torture lasted merely minutes.

His torment ended as quickly as it began, but his mind still felt as if it were toyed with. Mare shoots him with a withering glare, but her eyes were soulless pits, her skin pasty, and hands so thin and bony—

Cal wakes up with a start, noting that he hadn't moved from his position when he fell asleep. He also noticed that the knowledge of Mare's torture wasn't helping him in the slightest with his nightmares.

But anything would do, just to get as close to her as possible.

Ummm.... I'm honestly reluctant to post this, but here it is.

I hope I did to the satisfaction of your request.

This is the third writer typing, and have a good day🙂